Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 6 years ago

When is twins considered "full term"?

I'm having twin boys, Elijiah and Brayden 💕 and I'm 22 weeks, I'm not wanting to rush them, I know they'll come when their ready, I'm just curious when twins are considered "full term" and they can go home with you after 2 or 3 days. And what to watch out for when it comes to pre term labor.

Best Answer

Whether there is one baby or more, full term is not something that is negotiable. The NEW definition of FULL TERM according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists that was just released this month is 39 weeks. 36-38w6d is considered EARLY TERM. Anything earlier than 36 weeks is preterm.

When you have twins, it is just expected that you will deliver before your due date because of the nature of a twin pregnancy. Your body cannot keep accommodating the growth of two babies for as long as it can one baby. But the twins do not mature more rapidly because of that.

Most twins will deliver on average about 3-4 weeks before their due date. So you could deliver preterm, or you could deliver early full term. When they go home totally depends on when they are born and how well they adapt to life on the outside. If 36+ weeks, babies totally could be well enough to go home with you a few days after delivery. If born prior to 36 weeks or below a certain birth weight, babies automatically need to be kept in a Level II or Special Care Nursery for evaluation, and their discharge will totally depend on their medical stability. It could be a few days extra, it could be longer. No way to predict.

Preterm labor is the same as regular labor - contractions, cramping, back aches, pressure, changes in vaginal discharge (bleeding, fluid leaking, significant change in mucous). Those are the only ones you really need to worry about. Contractions are normal especially with twins, so the key is going to be how often you feel them and how intense. Is it more frequent or more intense from what you feel on a day to day basis? If you empty your bladder and lie down on your left side, do they lessen or go away? If you have more than 6 contractions in one hour for more than one hour after rest, then call your doctor or head to the hospital for evaluation.

Source(s): RN,student Nurse Practitioner