Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Should the Star of Bethlehem Flowers grow leaves in November?

I have planted bulbs of Star of Bethlehem Flowers in October; we had a very warm month and the leaves have grown. Should I cover them up with fallen leaves or with any other material to shelter the plants from the cold? Or will it be ok for the bulbs until spring, even if I do not cover the leaves?

Favorite Answer

I am in Australia and mine started growing leaves in winter and flowered in spring! Not sure if that helps but I would let nature run it's course to be honest.

Don't worry about them. I don't know where you live, but those things are impossible to kill, and they absolutely do NOT need protection of any kind! I don't mind them in late spring, but I do wish they'd behave themselves and stay put! At first they just seemed to spread "nicely", but after a few years, they exploded like kudzu! Showing up in beds 10, 20 feet away! In the lawn! It was nutty!