Scott asked in SportsMartial Arts · 7 years ago

UFC's current top 3 HWs vs Pride's top 3?

Who would win in these fights.

Set in the ring instead of the cage

Pride rules

Pride fighters in their prime

Cain Velasquez vs Fedor Emelianenko

Junior dos Santos vs Mirko Cro Cop

Daniel Cormier vs Minotauro Nogueira

Bonus fight:

Frank Mir vs Fabricio Werdum

Favorite Answer

Fedor > Cain

Mirko > JDS by a hair

Cornier > Antonio

Fedor Emelianenko

Junior dos Santos

Daniel Cormier

Fabricio Werdum

Fedor could match Velasquez's pace, and was the faster, craftier fighter. I think he'd punish Velasquez with combinations every time the latter tried to move in. Cain is tough but very hittable. Without the ability to grind his opponent against the cage, he's also lost one of his biggest weapons. I think Fedor takes it by late TKO or decision.

It's hard to go against a prime Crocop here, but I think I'm going to have to. JDS has a range advantage, and generally knows how to use it. Crocop was frustrated with Fedor's body-punching in their match; JDS uses body punches to set up head punches, and unfortunately for him, the Croatian has a notoriously suspect chin. Add to that a lowered stamina due to a deviated septum, and I think the odds are with JDS getting a knockout punch. Hardly a wash, though, as Crocop could strike early with his kicks and left hand; I just think JDS's tendency to back out of range would make Crocop's offense less effective.

Cormier vs. Nogueira's pretty hard. Even in his prime, Noguera's boxing was simple, and overrated by many, but I think he could cause some trouble for Cormier, who likes to close the distance and throw hooking combinations. Nogueira also never had much in the way of TD defense, but outside of his match with Barnett, we haven't seen Cormier on the ground with a submission specialist, and Barnett's grappling style is very different than Nogueira's. I think the lack of a fence could come into play in this match, too, as Cormier will find it harder to trap and grind Nogueira against the ropes, especially with the Japanese refs having a habit of breaking clinches against the ropes pretty quickly. Prime Nogueira was never finished, and I want to say at this point that Cormier (who's probably not even actually in his prime yet, as a fighter) probably has enough skills to avoid being subbed, so I don't see a finish here. I see Nog trying to stay in the center of the ring and sticking his jab in Cormier's face as he tries to close the distance; ultimately, Cormier gets in close and does some damage with his hooking combos before taking the fight to the floor, where he does damage while probably avoiding some near-subs, or pushes Nog against the fence, where he again does most of the damage of the two before being separated. I think Nogueira MAY get the "W" under Pride rules for attempting to finish the fight (subs from guard), though he'll take the most damage.

I think Mir has enough ability and desire to keep the fight on the feet, and I think he's a better striker than Werdum. That's going to win him the match. Possibly a big shot, maybe just doing more damage for a UD, but unless it turns into a grappling match (and I don't think it will), Mir's the favorite here.