Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 8 years ago

Hi, what do these words mean?

Lana: Whitney. Hey, Whitney, wait up . I thought you were going to meet me at the hospital.

Whitney: I'm sorry, forgot. How's Chloe?

Lana: Better, but not out of the woods (pas sorti d’affaire?) yet.

Whitney: That's the thing with this town. It'll always find a way to keep you down. (Entraver? Maintenir à un bas niveau. On arrive pas à sortir la tête de l’eau ?)

OUT OF THE WOODS? TO KEEP YOU DOWN?

Pete: Look, I got three words for you. Official police investigation.

Clark: The police haven't done anything. There have been a dozen robberies in the past six months all with the same freaky M.O. No sign of entry, the jewels and the cash just vanished, except for this place. Lex says that they triggered an alarm inside the vault. The question is how'd they get inside?

Pete: I don't know. Now stop channeling Chloe and come on. Oh no, not the Kent thousand-yard stare. Clark! Come on, man. I know you feel bad. I do too. But we're not cops.

_______________________________________…

M.O.? CHANNELING CHLOE? THOUSAND-YARD STARE?

Wade: Nothing. Nada. Not a single sidebar. A guy has gotta miss a hundred grand in cash and jewels.

Man #2: Not Luthor, bro. There is no telling how much jack he has got stashed in that castle. Cash, jewels, art, cars, you name it . If we'd gone downstairs we probably would have found the money pit where he swims in the stuff like that duck with the Irish accent.

Man #3: Uncle Scrooge.

Man #2: Yeah, yeah.

Man #3: He was Scottish, not Irish. But the fact is, we don't have enough time. The stuff doesn't last as long as it used to.

Wade: I know, I know. I'm telling you, we need fresh blood.

Man #2: Yeah, but who can we trust?

Wade: I don't know.

Man #3: I think I know why Luthor didn't file that robbery report. Check this out. Ten to one , the poster-boy for Rogaine doesn't want anyone to know that he's tapped into his daddy's computer system.

Wade: Maybe, then, we pay Luthor Jr. another visit, huh?

Man #3: I think so.

SIDEBAR? MISS? BRO? JACK? YOU NAME IT? THE MONEY PIT?

THE MONEY PIT WHERE HE SWIMS IN THE STUFF LIKE THAT DUCK WITH IRISH ACCENT? DIDN'T FILE? TEN TO ONE? THE POSTER-BOY? TAPPED INTO?

THANKS!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

lots of american idioms... ok. this is a continuation from the last one. some of these i may get wrong, because the context is a little strange (like sidebar)

sidebar = normally, this is a term lawyers use when talking to other lawyers or the judge. it's when they talk to the judge or each other while the judge listens and no one else can hear (especially the jury). if someone says "sidebar", they are making a metaphor for that meaning... and they mean "pulled aside to talk privately about a matter" in the above case, not a single sidebar may mean not single explanation or secret communication

miss = notice and regret the loss, or... FAIL to notice. it's hard for me to tell which case it is. like saying "i miss having money" means "i regret no longer having that money"... but if you say "i missed the connection between the recent burglaries and chloe disappearing" means "i wasn't able to detect that there was a connection, but now i see it"

bro = dude, buddy, man... usually friendly, but sometimes "sarcastic" friendly. short for "brother"

Jack = i've never seen it used this way. jack has ALL SORTS OF MEANING... in this case, it means loot. treasure. he's got a lot of stuff that is very valuable. the term "jack" sometimes means "to steal"... borrowed from things like "hijack" or "carjack". here, instead of using it as a verb "to steal", he's using it as the noun object "things that we should steal"

Money Pit = normally a money pit is a project that people put a lot of money into, but it usually winds up costing even more to complete. "that project is so expensive, it's like trying to fill a pit with money"... a pit is a large hole in the ground. IN THIS CASE, the money pit is the hole in the ground that has already been filled with money. so much money that they could nearly swim in it.

There's a disney cartoon character named "Scrooge McDuck" who has so much money that... well... it's a cartoon. That's a lot of money. He's the Scottish-accented animated duck who looks like Donald Duck (i think it's his uncle)

File = to file a report means to contact the police and they listen to you and make a report of what happened to investigate it. Luthor's a bad guy, so he doesn't want the police looking into his problems, or they'll discover what sorts of illegal things he's been up to

Ten to One = it's a betting term... i'll give you good odds... a good payout. when people say it and they aren't talking about actual betting on poker or horse races, they mean "it's highly likely"

Poster Boy = poster boys were people who would get on posters for a cause to represent it. a poster boy for quadraplegic children would be a boy in a wheelchair on a poster. it comes to mean (and usually in a cynical mean way) someone who totally represents something. Lindsey Lohan would be the poster girl for out of control celebrities. she epitomizes it. "Poster boy for rogaine" means someone who represents a rogaine user... rogaine is a hair loss treatment.

Tapped Into = tapped into usually means "in tune with", understanding the spirit of something. in computers or technology, it means having access to. "tapped into daddy's computer system" means he knows how to navigate it, and maybe has secret programs running on it that gives him special data feeds to tell him when something important is happening with it

@Randy: right on!

• 8 years ago

"out of the woods" = out of danger or trouble. It is common to use that with someone struggling with a long illness, to say they are still having some problems, but you can use it in other situations too.

"keep you down" = keep you unhappy, keep you from feeling good about life. Every time you start feeling good, "up", something will happen to make you unhappy, "down".

M.O = "modus operandi" = "method of operating". Much detective fiction uses this. Supposedly it's a police term referring to the typical procedure used by a criminal. "His M.O. is to pretend to be a florist delivery man".

"channeling" = originally a term from spiritualism (people who claim to talk to ghosts). They will claim that a ghost is speaking through them. They are "channeling" the spirit. Now it's commonly used in a joking way to imply that you're acting and talking like somebody else, as if they are possessing you.

"thousand-yard stare" is a term I originally heard in reference to Vietnam veterans. It refers to a look as if you are not seeing what's in front of you but are staring at something very far away, something haunting you.

"sidebar" has multiple meanings but I can't figure what is meant here. Maybe some context is missing. In a magazine article, it is one of those small "side" articles printed in the middle of the main article, often in a different color. We (Americans) have taken to using it to mean a meeting on the side of the main meeting. ("Can we have a sidebar here for a few minutes?") Neither of those meanings seems to fit here. It is something "aside" but I have no idea what.

"to miss" = to be aware you've lost something. To feel the loss.

"bro" = "brother". Just a friendly way to address somebody.

"jack" = money.

"THE MONEY PIT WHERE HE SWIMS IN THE STUFF LIKE THAT DUCK WITH IRISH ACCENT?" = exactly what it says, literally. It's talking about Disney character Scrooge McDuck. He's rich, he has a vault full of money. He swims in it. He has a Scottish (not Irish) accent. He's a duck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBRrCY5uhWY

"file" = submit, do whatever official action you're supposed to do with a report

"ten to one" = a wager, a bet with odds of 10:1. It means you think something is 10 times likelier to be true than false.

"poster-boy" = originally meant literally, as the person used on a poster to advertise some cause. Now it just means someone who is a very typical example of something.

"tapped into" = broken into, hacked into. If you "tap into" somebody's electricity, you are taking some of their power without them knowing. If you "tap into" their communications, you are spying on them. If you "tap into" their computers, you have hacked them, seen information on their computers.

Edit. I missed one. "You name it" is a way of saying "anything you can think of". "You say something and I'll bet it's on the list". For instance a department store could say "you name it, we've got it". In this case it means treasure of all sorts, anything you could name. Also, "jack" in this case means "wealth" in general, not just "money".

• 8 years ago

OUT OF THE WOODS

This is an idiom meaning "clear of danger, free of danger, out of the danger zone"

> The teacher said, "Your son's schoolwork has been better, but he is by no means out of the woods as yet."

(the son is still in danger of failing)

This is a casual or informal expression, almost entirely used in speech. It is seldom seen in writing (except to report speech.)

TO KEEP YOU DOWN

To keep you suppressed; to prevent you from reaching your full potential or powers, to stifle your development, to prevent you from advancing or realizing your goal.

> Mariam was determined not to let her gender keep her down.

M.O.

Modus operandi, or "Method of Operation"

A particular way of doing something.

Usually it is used specifically as police jargon to refer to criminals' tendency to use the same tactics for each of their crimes, so that eventually the police can recognize a new crime as being committed by a specific criminal.

> Sneaky Pete's MO was so distinctive that the detective was sure he was behind this latest bank heist.

CHANNELING CHLOE

"Channeling" is a term originating in New Age ideas to refer to the way a "spirit medium" is a conduit (a "channel") for some spirit being. The idea is that the medium's personality is completely taken over by the spirit's personality.

>Madame Zelda was able to channel the spirit of a pirate sea captain who brought messages from the Beyond.

In this case, it is used jocularly or metaphorically to mean, "You are talking, acting, or thinking just like Chloe, rather than like yourself."

THOUSAND-YARD STARE

This term originated with the soldiers in Viet Nam. It refers to a gaze that is focused a "thousand yards" away. This is the stare that point men on patrols through the jungle developed because they had to search ahead for dangers. The idea was that their experiences were life-altering, so they could not stop the thousand-yard stare even when they were not on patrol.

It has come to mean any absent gaze, staring off into the distance. The implication is that the person is thinking, planning, or reflecting.

SIDEBAR

This is journalism jargon for boxed-off supplementary material set on the side of the main article.

Probably the sentence means, "It wasn't even brought up as a side issue."

MISS

To miss something is to notice its absence.

The sentence means "He just had to have observed that $100,000 is gone."

BRO

A slang term of address between men. It is short for "brother," and arose in the Civil Rights era as an expression of African-American solidarity stressing that all black men are brothers. Now any man can use it as a slang way to address any other man.

JACK

Slang for "money, cash." Here it means "loot, swag."

YOU NAME IT

This means "Anything else you care to name." At the end of a list as is used here, it means "If you can name it (something, anything), it would belong on this list." It's a rhetorical exaggeration used in informal speech.

THE MONEY PIT WHERE HE SWIMS IN THE STUFF LIKE THAT DUCK WITH IRISH ACCENT

An old-time Disney cartoon character named Scrooge McDuck, a rich Scottish (not Irish) relative of Daffy Duck. "Scrooge" -- named for a literary character notorious for being a miser, and "Scottish" because of their reputation for being cheap and tight with money.

The opening of this music video has a clip of Scrooge swimming in his money pit

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-Rzba7V8uB04/smoke...

DIDN'T FILE

Didn't officially submit the report to the police

TEN TO ONE

An abbreviation of "I will give you odds of ten to one."

THE POSTER-BOY

He has so much hair that the Rogaine company could use him on a poster advertising their hair-growing product. He is the essence of hair growth,

> Marsha was the poster girl, the ideal model, for bullying others.

(She was a classical model of a bully.)

The term originally referred to fund-raising appeals against diseases.

https://www.google.com/search?q=poster+boy&source=...

TAPPED INTO

Illegally or covertly accessed the computer or other data sources.

> The FBI tapped into Sneaky Pete's bank account.

> The judge issued a warrant allowing the wire-tapping of the Mafia suspect's telephone.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.