Should I still study environmental engineering (or some other type of engineering)?

I should really be asking a college advisor for advice,

but they are either not helpful, or are students who

have no idea about engineering. I really wanted to study

environmental engineering, but chemistry isn't really working

too well for me. I am just not getting the help I need for

it, and its making me extremely stressed. Chemistry

has never really been my thing, because I have a

phobia for chemicals. The reason I wanted to be an

environmental engineer is because I have a lot of concern

for environmental issues (protecting/conserving water,

endangered species, pollution, etc) and that combines with

my interest in math & physics. I have done a lot of research

on environmental engineering; but the problem is my

stress, fears, phobias & anxiety are hindering me. So,

now I don't know what to do. If you would like more details

to help me out, I will add additional details; but like

I said there is no one to help me at my college, because

my college only offers pre-engineering. I talked to the

head of it, but he only says "Go study", and does not

give me any other advice. Thanks in advance!

@az_lender, I like your answer, but what engineering do you suggest? What is your opinion on civil engineering with a concentration in environmental. Either way, civil

(my answer got cut off) engineering still has 2 semesters of chemistry, sadly. What is your opinion on aerospace? Does that require a lot of chemistry?

@Josh, pre-engineering is the first 2 years of engineering

@ college, where we have to take all the math, sci,

(ans got cut off)

Favorite Answer

Too many people major in environmental engineering, thinking they're going to conserve global water supplies or protect endangered species. The occupation for most environmental engineering majors is pretty mundane sewage treatment plant operations, or writing impact statements on behalf of developers. Or, enforcement -- but that job is almost more political than humanitarian.

Most engineering disciplines do require at least one semester of chemistry -- just the basic understanding of atomic structure, bonding, and stoichiometric calculations. Yes, perhaps more "help" is what you need; of course you can always post chem questions here on YA!

Right, "pre-engineering" makes sense, get the required calculus, physics, and chemistry out of the way, because ALL engineering disciplines are going to use this background. Frankly, environmental engineering doesn't pay so well as mechanical, electrical, nuclear, chemical, or computer hardware engineering, and will probably disappoint you in terms of not solving the world's pollution problems. Make some money in one of the other engineering specialties, and use that success to help attack the problems of the human and animal world.

I'm not sure what pre-engineering is. But from my experience environmental engineering does involve quite a bit of chemistry and bit of biology, with your usual physics, math, and frosh engineering classes. Junior /Senior technical classes and electives and design. It is focused on disposal, remediation, and prevention. If you study a degree program that is specifically in Environmental Engineering these will be the 3 areas that your classes will be in. Most likely you will have to take 2 years of Chemistry. One full year of chemical and one full year of organic chemistry. However this may differ depending on the school you go to.

If you are really not into chemistry I would not recommend studying this. Another route you could do to get into envronmental engineering is to do civil engineering. Civil has many sub disciplines and some include structural, environmenal, and water resources. The last 2 seem to be the ones you are interested in. In the civil program I'm trying to get into. There is only one required semester of chemistry. If you choose to go this route civil with an environmental focus you will mostly be doing the disposal aspect of it and doing sytems type engineering. This would also give you the versatility to get into the other 2 fields, but you wouldn't be studying them extensively in the degree program

It seems like math and physics aren't a problem for you its just chemistry. If you study environmental engineering you will hate it if you don't like chemistry. My advice would be to look into some other type of engineering that interests you that is more physics based, or to the civil route.

If you are really adamant on environmental engineering I would seek outside help for Chemistry possibly tutoring. However, I don't think you have a problem with the material its just labs. I would also try to familiarize yourself with chemicals by doing some side experiments on your own.You could do this with a friend so you won't be as anxious. (ex. compare different alkaline metals when exposed to water. Like lithium, sodium, and pottasium)

I wish you luck. I Hope this was useful.

• dear

THEME OF STUDY ( NOT ONLY FOR MONEY )

Sis Dear,

Thank you, am also fine like you then dear please am one 22years experienced power electronics engineer from that my suggestion to you is all engineering fields are good in all countries not only in india means the feeling of good depends on almost busy in job with more interest because what you got job is fully related to your studied engineering. what i want to inform to you is please take the branch of engineering for study to be any thing but very good back ground support by some body for best future

yes