Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

What is democracy ...?

Well I was never really clear on this subject. *pause* Like any other kind of government, it's got something to do with young men killing each other I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPg-e4-GaKQ

Youtube thumbnail

---------

“If the thing they were fighting for was important enough to die for then it was also important enough for them to be thinking about it in the last minutes of their lives. That stood to reason. Life is awfully important so if you've given it away you'd ought to think with all your mind in the last moments of your life about the thing you traded it for. So did all those kids die thinking of democracy and freedom and liberty and honor and the safety of the home and the stars and stripes forever?

You're goddamn right they didn't.

They died crying in their minds like little babies. They forgot the thing they were fighting for the things they were dying for. They thought about things a man can understand. They died yearning for the face of a friend. They died whimpering for the voice of a mother a father a wife a child They died with their hearts sick for one more look at the place where they were born please god just one more look. They died moaning and sighing for life. They knew what was important They knew that life was everything and they died with screams and sobs. They died with only one thought in their minds and that was I want to live I want to live I want to live."

― Dalton Trumbo, Johnny Got His Gun

That just about sums it up don't you think ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hziG-cLZW1Y

Youtube thumbnail

The Trooth Hurts - The U.S. has always been a plutocracy ... brief windows of change appear then are systematically erased. But the point you raise is valid. :)

ETL - I'm not from the United States. :) (below isn't directed towards you btw so don't take it that way please)

I hear the "republic" argument a lot actually, always in relation to the U.S.- it is still a nation that practises and espouses the virtues of " Representative Democracy " the fact that it has been corrupted and perverted is worth noting ... so is the fact it was never initially designed to be "Representative" for all.

Favorite Answer

The United States is actually a Republic.

edit: Hi Sandy...I didn't know you weren't in the US. :-) I'm not sure why I made that assumption as I have many friends from around the world. Where are you from, if I may ask, Sweetie?

Democracy = The people of a nation decide what that nation does.

Of course it ends with violence, but the same goes for every other system. At least with a democracy the people suffer because they're stupid, not because there's a dictator hoarding all the wealth.

Well, long LONG ago before any of us were born, the United States was a democracy.

But those were the days before the oligarchy...

"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried." ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Let me tell you instead what it's NOT:

It's not a religion or spirituality topic, despite the fact that you posted it here in Religion and Spirituality.

• gw

DEMOCRACY IS A GOVERNMENT OF THE PEOPLE.......//

.

freedom can go too hell, sharia law will prosper