Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 7 years ago

What are some good nonfiction war novels?

I need an interesting nonfiction war novel for an English project, Most preferably modern from 20th-21st century(WWI, WWII, Vietnam, or current)

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Hum.... A FYI "novel" IS a class of "fiction." What you are looking are "nonfiction" books on the subject of war.

WW I: general information:

The American Heritage History of World War I by S.L.A. Marshall

Complete Idiot's Guide to World War I by Ph.D. Alan Axelrod*

WW I specific information:

The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman (the start of WW I)

Europe's Last Summer: Who Started the Great War in 1914? by David Fromkin (the start of WW I)

Eye-Deep in Hell: Trench Warfare in World War I by John Ellis

Verdun: The Lost History of the Most Important Battle of World War I, 1914-1918 by John Mosier

St Mihiel 1918: The American Expeditionary Forces' trial by fire (Campaign) by David Bonk and Howard Gerrard

World War II: general information

World War II by H.P Wiollmott, Charles Messenger, and Robin Cross

World War II For Dummies by Keith D. Dickson*

The Pacific War: A Very Brief History by Mark Black

World War II: specific information

Day Of Infamy by Walter Lord

At Dawn We Slept: The Untold Story of Pearl Harbor by Gordon W. Prange, Donald M. Goldstein and Katherine V. Dillon

Miracle at Midway by Gordon W. Prange, Donald M. Goldstein and Katherine V. Dillo

The Longest Day: June 6, 1944 by Cornelius Ryan

A Bridge Too Far by Cornelius Ryan

Korean War: general information

This Kind of War by T.R. Fehrenbach

A Short History of the Korean War by James L. Stokesbury

Korean War: specific information

Pork Chop Hill by S.L.A. Marshall

Hell or high water: MacArthur's landing at Inchon, by Walter J Sheldon

Breakout: The Chosin Reservoir Campaign, Korea 1950 by Martin Russ

Vietnam War: general information

The Vietnam War: A comprehensive and illustrated history of the conflict in Southeast Asia by Ray Bonds (editor)

On Strategy: A Critical Analysis of the Vietnam War by Harry G. Summers

Summons of Trumpet: U.S.-Vietnam in Perspective by Dave R. Palmer

Vietnam War: specific information

Street Without Joy by Bernard B. Fall

We Were Soldiers Once...and Young: Ia Drang - The Battle That Changed the War in Vietnam by Harold G. Moore and Joseph L. Galloway

Thud Ridge: F-105 Thunderchief Missions Over Vietnam by Colonel Jack Broughton

TET by Don Oberdorfer

Chickenhawk by Robert Mason

BAT-21: Based on the true story of Lieutenant Colonel Iceal E. Hambleton, USAF by William C Anderson

Homecoming: When the Soldiers Returned from Vietnam by Bob Green

Post Cold War:

Desert Storm: The War in the Persian Gulf by Time Magazine

9/11 Ordinary People: Extraordinary Heroes: NYC - The First Battle in the War Against Terror! by Col. Will G. Merrill Jr.Into the Fire: A Firsthand Account of the Most Extraordinary Battle in the Afghan War by Dakota Meyer and Bing West Operation Phantom Fury: The Assault and Capture of Fallujah, Iraq by Dick Camp

* Don't let "Dummy" or "Idiot" in the title scare you off. These books have a lot of good information in them....

• Rose D
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman is a great overview of WWI. For WWII, try Bismarck: The Final Days of Germany's Greatest Battleship by Niklas Zetterling. For Vietnam, Dear America: Letters Home From Vietnam is excellent.

• Spike
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

How about any of these books. IF you need info on any of the books listed, you can look them up at Barnes and Noble(bn.com) and Amazon.com.

The Battle of Britain: Five Months That Changed History; May--October 1940 by James Holland

Day of Infamy, 60th Anniversary: The Classic Account of the Bombing of Pearl Harbor by Walter Lord

Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo by Cap. Ted W. Lawson

The Man Who Never Was: World War II's Boldest Counter-Intelligence Operation by Ewen Montagu

Operation Mincemeat: How a Dead Man and a Bizarre Plan Fooled the Nazis and Assured an Allied Victory by Ben Macintyre

Covert Warrior: Fighting the CIA's Secret War in Southeast Asia and China, 1965-1967 by Warner Smith

Covert Ops: The CIA's Secret War In Laos by James E. Parker Jr.

Jawbreaker: The Attack on Bin Laden and Al-Qaeda: A Personal Account by the CIA's Key Field Commander by Gary Berntsen and Ralph Pezzullo

First In: An Insider's Account of How the CIA Spearheaded the War on Terror in Afghanistan by Gary Schroen

The Jedburghs: The Secret History of the Allied Special Forces, France 1944 by Will Irwin

Blackjack-33: With Special Forces in the Viet Cong Forbidden Zone by James C. Donahue

Kill Bin Laden: A Delta Force Commander's Account of the Hunt for the World's Most Wanted Man by Dalton Fury

No Easy Day: The Autobiography of a Navy Seal: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden by Mark Owen with Kevin Maurer

• 7 years ago

The Thin Red Line by James Jones is one of the best war novel ever.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

Hey there,

This is a good link for downloading World War II Pacific Heroes for free: http://bit.ly/1qXDSTY

it's completely free and it's very fast to install

Confront the powerful Japanese Zero planes, bring down as many as you can and prove that you are the best when it comes to fighting.

• 7 years ago

A novel is a work of fiction. It is not a synonym for "book." "Nonfiction novel" is an oxymoron.

A good nonfiction war book is "Day of Infamy."

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

http://PaperbackOnline.com/ - Best Website to Read popular books , magazines and comics online!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.