promotion image of download ymail app

how old do you have to be to live on your own in vegas?

okay hey guys im 16 this year but when i turn 17 july 16 i really want to get the **** out my mother house like pronto !!!! i have had so much issues living under the house hold of my mother i was told on here that i can get emancipated and i am googling now how to do that because i dont think that i can wait till i am 17 thats months from now !! so with that any one from vegas know that or can find a source ???

2 Answers

  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    You can start the emancipation process at 16 in the state of Nevada. However, you would need to be able to show the court that you currently support yourself. This means that you have to have a job, be managing your own money, and living apart from your parents with their permission. In addition, you would need to pay attorney, court, and filing fees.

    Here is the statute stating all the requirements and the legislative link:

    NRS 129.080 Minor may petition juvenile court for decree of emancipation; reference to master. Any minor who is at least 16 years of age, who is married or living apart from his or her parents or legal guardian, and who is a resident of the county, may petition the juvenile court of that county for a decree of emancipation. The district court may refer the petition to a master appointed pursuant to title 5 of NRS or chapter 432B of NRS.

    (Added to NRS by 1987, 1278; A 1991, 2180; 2003, 1117)

    NRS 129.090 Petition: Contents; fees.

    1. A petition filed pursuant to NRS 129.080 must be in writing, verified by the petitioner and set forth:

    (a) The name, age and address of the minor;

    (b) The names and addresses of the parents of the minor;

    (c) The name and address of any legal guardian of the minor;

    (d) If no parent or guardian can be found, the name and address of the child’s nearest known relative residing within this state;

    (e) Facts relating to the minor’s education, employment, and length of residence apart from his or her parents or guardian;

    (f) That the minor willingly lives apart from his or her parents or legal guardian with the consent or acquiescence of his or her parents or legal guardian;

    (g) That the minor is managing his or her own financial affairs;

    (h) That the source of the minor’s income is not derived from any activity declared to be a crime by the laws of this state or the United States; and

    (i) That the minor is attending school or has been excused from attending school pursuant to NRS 392.040 to 392.125, inclusive.

    2. If any of the facts required by subsection 1 are not known, the petition must so state.

    3. For filing the petition, the clerk of the district court shall charge the fees prescribed by law for the commencement of civil actions or proceedings generally.

    (Added to NRS by 1987, 1278)

    Source(s): Live in Las Vegas
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

    Look before you leap. It costs a lot more than you can imagine.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.