Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsMusic & Music Players · 7 years ago

What over-ear headphones should I buy?

I looked into Beats By Dre headphones, and listened to some at my local Best Buy. I liked what I heard, but after some reviews and advice I found that I may have simply been a product of flashy design and good marketing, as I heard there were much better headphones out there. If particular I liked the Beats Executive style, mostly due to not only sound, but feel and ergonomics.

Essentially, I am looking for a headphone that can get loud, with good overall range, perhaps a TAD bassy, for rich sound but well-balanced overall. Nothing that will hiss at high volumes, something that will not leak a lot of sound, and perhaps something that will cancel noise?

I have heard that Koss headphones are great, but worth e price.

I have been using these $20 JVC earbuds for years and they are actually great. They get really loud with no hiss and the form fitting marshmallow bud fits so snug that it cancels out the outside noise, and it gets pretty damn good range with rich sound. But clearly, they won't match the grander sound of large headphones.

Suggestions please!

Favorite Answer

To be honest, most headphone manufacturers are jumping on the 'Beats' bandwagon and are now increasing prices to increase their profit margins...some Sennheiser customers are currently complaining about this...not all manufacturers are guilty though so it's best to shop around...it's just not the best time to buy headphones, they have become very fashionable.

I use the Sony MDR V55DJ headphones, they aren't perfect, I chose them after listening to lots of other headphones including Beats by Dre...I chose the Sony on sound quality and they don't disappoint they just aren't the most comfortable cans to wear for long listening sessions.

The Scosche 1056 get really good reviews, sound great and are similarly styled to the executives from Beats...give them some consideration.

Another headphone making some noise is the Griffin Woodtones over the ear headphone...you might not like the styling though.

These are the best affordable headphones for no sibilance (hiss):

Beyerdynamic DTX501P

Creative Aurvana Live

JVC HAS400/500

At high end:

Philips Fidelio X1

If REAL quality is an issue, you should stick to REPUTABLE brands only such as B&W, Sennheiser (most affordable), Shure, Grado, Denon, AKG, Audio-Technica (NOT to be mixed with Technic which is utter rubbish as well!), Etymotic or Beyerdynamic. Things like V-Moda, Klipsch, Sony, Panasonic, JVC and Philips are ONLY "okay-ish" indeed. Please do NOT fall a victim to FASHION ACCESSORIES by buying Boombox, Ministry of Sound, Sol/Republic/Revolution, Noontec Zoro's, Benetton, a-jays, iFrogz, Marley, Fanny Wang, Razer, Karl Kani, WESC, Turtle, JH, Dr.Dre/Beats/Solo, Ludacris/Soul, Koss, Skullcandy, Lady GaGa, Skullcrushers, Monsters nor Bose, because they are ALL seriously overhyped and overpriced "fashion blingbling gimmicks" with a very poor durability and sound quality, NOTHING else (and those who try to claim they are good do NOT know ANYTHING about QUALITY anyway!), BE THEM FAKE OR NOT!

Again, please do NOT focus on the thumping bass that just distorts everything else, instead go for GOOD audio quality IN GENERAL.

Check out the Audio Technica Ath-M50:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GC4L7S/ref=as...

In my opinion they are one of the best sounding headphones you can get for the money.