Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 8 years ago

Help!! Terrified in own home scared of posioning please read!!?

Okay, I went to bed at 9pm determined to get a full 8 hours of sleep, I had on boxers a t-shirt and no socks. To my shock at 11:15 i felt something long and smooth squirming between the toes on my left foot and I jumped up in fear, turned on the light and saw 3 LONG centipede/milipede looking insects in my bed and 1 on the floor by my foot. I threw my pillow on top of the 1 on the floor and The other 2 in the bed slithered fast down the side of my bed and DISAPPEARED!! AS IF THEY WENT INSIDE OF MY BED!!! This scared the **** out of my and now I cannot sleep. The one under my pillow I sprayed like crazy with bug spray but it had NO EFFECT!! I put the spray can on top of the bug and it is still there SQUIRMING under the pressure. WHAT KIND OF BUGS ARE THESE, AM I POISONED AND SHOULD I BE AFRAID? I stripped al sheets off my bed and now im at the computer DESPERATELY looking for help. I need to sleep, please help!!! WHAT KIND OF BUGS ARE THESE? WHAT SHOULD I DO TO GET RID OF THEM!!! SHOULD I BE AFRAID TO GO BACK TO SLEEP?

Favorite Answer

If they have long legs splayed out to the side and long antennae they are probably just common house centipeded. I have them in my place -- they can give you a nasty bite but it is no worse than a bad mosquito bite or minor non-venomous spider bite, a burning red spot that fades in a couple of days. Unless you have serious insect bite allergies, they really can't hurt you. If they are pale grey flattened bugs with long legs, they would just be silverfish, which are harmless to humans. But I am guessing not since those are easy to squish. House centipedes tend to be tough to kill -- I often have to kill them when doing work in my basement and how know how tough they are.

If they are dark brown with short legs and shiny ribbed bodies they are harmless millepedes. Creepy but no danger.

None of the long slithery house insects in the UK have enough venom to kill a human or make them sick. The best thing to do is catch them under a glass, slide a piece of cardboard under to capture them and then toss them outside or flush down the toilet. Yes, it's creepy to have them around your bedding, but not really dangerous. I'd take the suggestion to move to the couch for the night and then use a vaccuum cleaner all around the bed and bedding tomorrow to suck out any stragglers. Back off on the bug spray -- that is more of a danger to you than the insects.

I would be more concerned about poisoning from the bug spray not the insects. It sounds like it could be a type of worm or caterpillar. You could call an exterminator and have them check it out. I can't give you any advice for sleeping because I wouldn't be able to sleep after that either (if you live in an area that is known for scorpions that is cause for concern as well but they don't slither so I don't think it's that)

the couch.