When I clear from a army post (ETS) do I need to return to the unit if I clear earlier?

Okay, today I started clearing from my unit (ETSing) and someone within the unit suggested that when I get done clearing in just a couple of days, which he assured me I would be done, then I would return back to the unit to continue working as usual. They give you 10 working days to clear and as far as I understand, once you clear from the unit and post, then you no longer need to return to a unit in which you have just finished out-processing out of. Doesn't make any sense to me. I guess i will have to tell them if they insist that i return to work as usual that i will first have to go back to in-processing because technically, I will not longer be a part of that unit. Any help or quoting of any army guide would be helpful (AR, REG...).

Thank you

If you've cleared your unit and cleared post, I don't see why you should have to return to your unit for anything. But then again, like EODbot said, policies are different everywhere. Someone should always know where you are no matter what. I cleared from Campbell a year ago and I just came to PT every day in ACUs for a week until my terminal leave started.

Never go by what random people in the unit say. Ask your NCO and have him/her send it up the CoC to figure out what you have to do until terminal leave starts. Most likely they'll just have you come to PT in ACUs for accountability.

Hope you didn't go Guard afterwards like I did lol.

• EODbot

Local Policies will dictate clearing procedures but keep in mind that besides clearing the installation, you'll may have to pack, clear housing, prepare to move to your home of record, clear local utilities, turn in cable boxes, and many other things which is why most installations give you 10 days to clear. I have seen policies that state you have to report once a day but again your local policies would be the ones to go off of.

It how they keep track of you by making you show up for the last formation.