Is kobe beef as good as its hyped up to be?

I really want to taste it but its sooo Expensive, is it really worth the money for the fine food lover?

• d3
    Favorite Answer

I have had American, Japanese and Australian(Au) kobe approximate grade 8.

Based on what I have had

Japanese was the best, Au was very good and American was not much better than prime.

I paid about $800 a lb for the Japanese kobe in a restaurant in japan, the Au costs about $60 a lb for strip at wagmans and the American cost around $40 for strip at a butcher shop by my house.

I have had Japanese kobe twice and thought it was the best, I however feel no need to buy again because I did not feel it worth the cost beyond getting the experience of trying it. I really did not care much at all for the American kobe I had. I thought some of the regular USDA prime stakes I have had were better. The Au kobe was very good and reasonably priced for the quality. If you have the money to splurge you should try the Japanese kobe for the experience , if not I recommend the au kobe because it is still very good and a lot cheaper.

One thing I have noticed is that the prices of real Japanese Kobe seems to be dropping substantially online recently on the 1-800 kobe site. I do not know if it is because of changes to the FDA regulations on Japanese meet or because of radiation fears .

One thing to keep in mind is that the kobe grades in the US and Au are not regulated the same say they would be in Japan and they are not rated on the USDA scale so it maybe hard to know what you are really getting and true kobe technically comes from Kobe japan. Basically if you go to a place that offers $100 kobe steaks they are going to be imitations. I have just personally have had better experience with the Australian imitations.

I knew a guy that tried it and he said it really was that good.

I'd love to try it someday.