What happened to Yahoo Chat Rooms?

You have disabled the Yahoo Chat rooms, and I don't understand why. I have a lot of people that I went there to talk to. Is this service ever going to be restored?

Best Answer

As of December 14, 2012 Yahoo discontinued their chat rooms. the last word was they have no plans to bring them back.

If you are looking for chat rooms. You could check these.

http://chat.icq.com/icqchat/

http://www.free-chat-rooms.net/

http://www.chat-avenue.com/

• Jeff4 years agoReport

what's really going on about the yahoo chat and member directory that we can't hook up with new friends and love anymore

In a controlled and programmed world where everything in the past was controlled by editors, by religion, by ones with the most power and money there was too much truthful information being shared in the Yahoo chat rooms.

To suppress the people it is important for them not to get together and share information that is supposed to be kept secret like the fact people are being Abducted which is the biggest suppressed secret in the Universe. In today's world everyone would be chatting about the Chemtrails and what is behind this program is top secret and it is supposed to stay that way. The first Chat rooms that were attacked were the Paranormal and religious rooms and they destroyed the room with ones who came in using a foreign language or Arabic. The ones who destroyed the rooms must have been highly paid because they kept rapidly posting in these rooms that was very annoying.

• Mathew3 years agoReport

Richard, you're a blind idiot, & victim of the system. As well as anyone else who shames Sue

Yahoo Chat

There were a lot of problems with abuse, spammers, and trolls. Yahoo didn't have the resources to moderate the chat rooms (which weren't making money), and it was a lawsuit waiting to happen. Here's an article with a little bit more information: http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology/1112741608...

“We know that some long-term Yahoo! Messenger users still enjoy these topic-based communities, however we feel that by embracing the modern technologies and platforms available today, Yahoo! will uncover better ways to foster meaningful communities and connections with the people you care about.” — part of their statement on a blog post they've since removed.

If you're interested, I'm part of a prelaunch startup working on an app to bring back chat. It's called WULU. We haven't launched yet, but you can see a preview here: http://www.hellowulu.com.

I really miss the rooms. I haven't been in them for a long time, but I met some great people and had a long

distance relationship too where we met all over the place. If it wasn't for the long distance between us (3000 miles) we probably could of worked something out. Neither of us really wanted to move and talking on the phone every night only went so far.

Anyway, it's sad to see the rooms are closed. I will always wonder what the regular characters are up to or where they are today. Because there's no other way to get in contact with them now.

• pink

I loved the chatrooms. I regularly bounced around to several different rooms depending on what time of the day and what day of the week it was. I got to know so many people that I miss and still think about. It was such a convenient social outlet that you could participate in while still in your PJs at home. We voice chatted, we video chatted, or just chatted by typing. Sometimes we did all three at the same time. It's a treasured part of my life that I won't ever forget. And.....yes.....it represented a lot of worldwide freedom that should be granted to us again.

There is still ICQ which is NOT HACK proof or boot proof. And then there is Paltalk messenger with chat rooms. You can create your own private chat rooms in paltalk. I have a few of my own with my paltalk id's . Paltalk is just as fun as yahoo chats. But Paltalk has more interactive things than yahoo chat did.

I got the inspiration to relocate to Canada from chatting with friends in the Yahoo chat rooms. Yes we know some people abused the opportunity, but there was a good side to Yahoo chat room....

Just found out that Yahoo Chat rooms are closed. I met my wife in a yahoo chat room. She was in Lebanon and I in Canada. It all started with a hi in 40's Room. That was 10 yrs ago. If was not for the Yahoo chat room, I would have never met her. Sadly, she passed away 14 months ago from cancer.

• bill2 years agoReport

I know wat you mean....yahoo chat was awesome...I use to go by the name. Unclegene_80207. I miss yahoo chat too guys..my favorite rooms were the country music rooms..lots of fights in there sometimes,,we would play music ...I use to use an old mic that had a chord on it

I started text based chat rping in yahoo chat rooms back in 1996. Together some of us built eaprofiles... which grew into fantasyrole and just recently reincarnated as www.frstoryforge.com

• JAD5 years agoReport

If chatrooms ever come back on yahoo... those of us on the site want to properly link back and encourage rpers to use yahoo chat rooms responsibly.

Just installed new version of yahoo messenger and noticed that chatrooms are gone. used to have some nice moments there years ago with wide range of characters from all over the world. i never was a daily user but as i recall it there were some wacky characters that used to hang there all the time. and the active user core was like the cream of chat society . too bad it s gone. It added an interesting flavour to computing world, a bit like a shabby chat bar in a galaxy far away accessible right from ones home office.