Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 6 years ago

What are my chances of getting toxic shock syndrome?

So yesterday when I got home from school I noticed that I started my period. So at like 3:00 I put a tampon in. I then went the whole day with it in and all night. The next morning I forgot all about it and I went to my softball game at 9:00. I didn't get home till 1:00. And then I changed it. That means I had it in for 22 hours. And I am really scared. So when I went to change it I found that it leaked all of the way through and there was a pool of bllod in my underwear. I don't know what to do and I am scared. I have a slight fever and a really bad headache. Also my stomach hurts a little bit too. What should I do. I'm really scared!!!!!

• Kasha
    Favorite Answer

We can't determine your chances.

TSS is caused when certain bacteria start multiplying then produce TSST-1 toxins that enter your bloodstream, if you lack immunity these toxins overwhelm your immune system - we have no way of knowing if you were at risk. However most cases of TSS occur within the first few hours of use, so chances are that on this occasion you were not at risk of contracting TSS.

If concerned watch for symptoms;

- Sudden high fever (38°C/100.4°F).

- Low blood pressure.

- Nausea and/or vomiting.

- Sunburn-like skin rash.

- Diarrhoea or constipation.

- Fainting or feeling faint.

- Dizziness and confusion

- Muscle aches.

Symptoms can vary greatly from person to person and depending on which organs are effected, but with all cases you'd have high fever and low blood pressure - you'd feel very ill, like having a bad case of flu. I suggest you look through the real life stories on the following page for a better idea of how TSS progresses - http://you-are-loved.org/category/tss-stories If you suspect TSS see your doctor.

You need to be more careful with tampons, if you managed to go so long before leaking then your flow wasn't heavy enough to have used tampons to begin with - this plus leaving tampons over 4-6 hours and wearing tampons overnight without alternating with pads all increases risks of TSS and infections. You should avoid tampons for the rest of this cycle, watch out for symptoms not just of TSS but also of vaginal infections such as Bacterial Vaginosis which are common with tampon use.

Precautions with tampon use;

- Change every 4-6 hours.

- Always use lowest absorbency for your flow.

- Change absorbency as your flow changes.

- Alternate with pads as often as possible.

- Avoid rayon tampons; Tampax, Playtex, Kotex.

- Opt for cotton tampons; Cottons, Maxim, Emerita.

- Do not use before your period.

- Do not use with light flow or spotting.

- Do not use overnight while sleeping.

- Do not use with vaginal infections.

- Wash hands before use.

- Store in clean dry place.

- Learn about TSS and other risks.

- Consider safe options like menstrual cups.