Why did Jehovah bring a "plague" against 70,000 inhabitants of ancient Israel....?

and what was the outcome?

Scriptures are welcome.

Update:

Thank you Fireball....but as a "professed christian" I would think that you are more than familiar with the Bible, and as such, you would know exactly where to find the information.

Update 2:

@Paul C....actually, the Bible tells us that the plague was brought about due to disobedience on the part of the King. They took an illegal census which was displeasing to Jehovah. You can read the entire account at 1Chronicles chapter 21

Thank you so much for your answer.

Update 3:

@Beltashazzar.....tsk,tsk,tsk, you cannot compare yourself to Fireball, she's a better 'christian' than than you could ever dream of being. You are a "sin " and a "disgrace"

I feel sorry for you.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

David acted against God law and ordered a census of the people. God told David to choose between three punishments, and he chose a plague for three days. During that time 70,000 people died. God stopped the plague out of mercy at the threshing floor of Ornan the Jebusite. David bought it from Ornan, and it was there that David planned to build the first temple.

The account is in 1 Chronicles chapter 21, and 2 Samuel chapter 24, where Ornan is called Araunah.

What this tells me is that God wants us to be obedient in all things, because not only could bad things happen to us if we aren't, but other people could suffer as a result.

(Galatians 6:7, 8) Do not be misled: God is not one to be mocked. For whatever a man is sowing, this he will also reap; 8 because he who is sowing with a view to his flesh will reap corruption from his flesh, but he who is sowing with a view to the spirit will reap everlasting life from the spirit.

• Moi
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

David committed a vain act. He took a census against God's will. So God decimated his forces.

2Sa 24:15 ¶ So the LORD sent a pestilence upon Israel from the morning even to the time appointed: and there died of the people from Dan even to Beersheba seventy thousand men.

2Sa 24:16 And when the angel stretched out his hand upon Jerusalem to destroy it, the LORD repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed the people, It is enough: stay now thine hand. And the angel of the LORD was by the threshingplace of Araunah the Jebusite.

• paul c
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

I don't know, maybe he was testing a new plague and his people, the Jews, got too close. I'm pretty sure any God can kill his own people. If he made them, he's allowed to call them home.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

"He can do what ever he wants because he is God"

Source(s): Christian logic.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

You are proving that you are as described in Psalms 53:1

My question is the same as @FIREBALL's

Please put up your referrences or GTFO

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.