Is the confederate flag racist?

Is it racist? I know a lot of people, friends as a matter of fact who fly it in their trucks and some of them say it stands for white pride, others say it's just southern country pride. I'm biracial so it kinda bugs me simply because I've been told half the time that it's a racist symbol. Idk what to believe anymore

Best Answer

You have to decide what is more important to you as a person. Are white people (yes, I am white) so beat down that they need to wave that flag to regain their lost white pride? How utterly absurd that would be! That flag might as well have the abhorrent N-word written all over it. I am a Southerner, born and bred, and we southerners have so many other things to be proud of. I love being an American from the state of Georgia, I never owned a slave, so I have nothing to be ashamed of or apologize for. But, as a decent human being, who actually cares about the feelings of my fellow man, i would never fly that flag. That flag represents shame, humiliation, dehumanization, degradation, and is an offense to our fellow African American citizens. So, this is America, no one can tell you you cannot wave the confederate flag. But think about what that would say about you and your character, or severe lack thereof. I would rather find other ways to honor my ancestors and my culture that every Southerner, black or white, could feel proud of. If you are reading this and actually couldn't care less about showing love to your neighbor, then nothing i could say will change the fact that, yes, I'm flat out calling you a racist who has no real love in his heart for people of color. If you did, your conscious would never allow you to shove that symbol of hate in the children of slaves. If you need an even clearer example of how symbols can represent pure evil, Dress yourself in a nazi flag and sit in the front row at a Jewish temple.. God says love your neighbor as you love yourself. just because you can do something doesn't mean that it is the right thing to do. I hope you choose the path of respect, and not the one of thinking that your "rights" outweigh your heart.

• Aiden

I guess it depends what meaning you ALLOW it to have for you. For some Americans, it's the flag that their ancestors died for. For others, it's the flag that their ancestors were slaves to. So consider that.

Before Hitler turned the Swastika into a symbol of "Aryan Purity and Conquest" it was a symbol for Hindus and Buddhists. So think about that. The same symbol carved into the palm of The Hindu god Ganesha is also the symbol that flew over Nazi death camps.

The thing about symbols is that they have power over us, but only whatever power we grant to them. At the end of the day... the confederate flag is a piece of cloth. Most likely "Made In China" ;)

I consider a symbol of southern pride but I could see how people could take offense to it. I guess it just depends on how you display it.

• Mark

The FLAG itself is value-neutral, but people who fly that flag (ESPECIALLY if they aren't Southern) tend to be racists.