What age would you enroll child in these sports/activities?

My son will be 2 next month (way too early for anything!), but I'm just interested in what age do most parents enroll their child in the following sports:

Soccer -

Baseball/Tee Ball -

Basketball -

Swimming Lessons (actual lessons, not "Mommy & Me" ones) -

Karate/Martial Arts -

Skiing -

Snowboarding -

Hockey -

Football (even "Tag Football" is acceptable) -

Singing Lessons -

Music Lessons (Piano/Guitar/Drums/etc) -

You can add any other lesson that I didn't think of as well! Lastly, how would I find the teams in my local area to enroll him, once the time came?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Favorite Answer

There really is no right or wrong answer to this. You will have to decide what works best for your family yourself. There are all kind of introductory classes that start as early as 2 that aren't exactly true lessons they are more about exploring the sports.

My youngest daughter started swim and tumbling at 2 and dance at around 3.

The YMCA, YWCA, local recreation center may offer "Tiny Tots" classes. The same places are also good bets for older kids too. Here our city leagues advertise in the newspaper and send home notices through the schools when it is time to enroll.

Source(s): Mom of 5

I play hockey and it has done so much for. It has taught me to be a leader, staying in shape, and work hard to achieve my goals. I strongly suggest hockey, I love it and I cant imagine my life without it. I started skating when I was 4 and was playing hockey by age 5!

• Bobbi

We signed up our lil ones in programs offered through the parks and recreation program in our city. They offered quite a few programs. Other programs like karate did not take kids to age 4.

When a child is ready. A 2-year old is waaaaaaaaaaay too young to do anything besides learning how to talk, learning ABC's, learning colors and learning shapes.