Career Help!? what to do?

Well this may seem crazy, but I can't decide what I want to do for my career. All of these things I have wanted to do even since a was a lot younger.

I want to be a professional dancer & open my own dance studio, a physical therapist assistant, an OB doctor, or a nurse.

Which one(s) would be the best decision!!?? I can't make my mind up!

Best Answer

It's not unusual for this to happen. I've changed my career 4 times in my life. I can give you the following personal advice though. Before you take a vocational career like medicine which will mean you are more or less locked into that profession for life consider things long and hard. My wife is in medicine and it seems to me to be the most depressing and heartbreaking career path on the planet.

As for dancing, well like any major physical activity your career is limited by your physical condition.

Perosnally I would do 1 of 2 things. Either go and get a professional career assessment done (they will do a full profile screening and check your academics etc. and you should come out with a reasonable report guiding you into areas that you might not have considered.

OR

You mention your dance studio. Why not go and do a business degree and then open your dance studio. 90% of businesses fail when they start up because generally those starting them have no idea how a business truly works, and so they either get really lucky or they try and try again and learn (v expensive) by experience. Also you then have many options open to you should your business not work out for you or you suddenly realise another business oppertunity is better or you want to join an interesting company. With a business degree so many doors will remain open to you.

Good luck.