Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 6 years ago

Can a horse have too many apples?

So I have a 16 y/o qh and a 5 y/o tb. The neighbors decided its ok to give them each 4 apples(give or take) and I was just wondering if they should be ok.. I was just checking on them and the one has normal stool, but a little runny. Gross I know. But I'm just nervous.

Favorite Answer

They should get a wide variety of foods.

Apple Daily Horse

Some horses with certain medical conditions cannot tolerate apples at all. Others enjoy them daily. Below are some things to consider when thinking about feeding apples to horses:

Apples can give them a bad tummy ache and flatulence (gas). This is called Colic and is often fatal. 1 - 2 apples per day is usually okay. Too much of anything is good for nothing.

If horses eat too many apples they can get diarrhea, which to some extent they can die, so just watch how many you feed them, 1 - 2 apples per day is plenty.

If too many apples are eaten the horse may founder and has the possibility of dying in a severe case. If this happens call your vet immediately.

The acid can also do damage to their teeth

• Angel

Your horses should be okay, my vet said they could have a lot of carrots. 5 - 10 here and there, same with apples. I have draft horses, so one third less should be fine. One of my guys loves to eat acorns too, they're not the best for horses, but he hasn't gone belly up on me yet.

If the horses are gassy or kicking at their bells, breaking out not a sweat, those are more usual signs of tummy ache. You have some good advice above.

Good luck

Source(s): Experience
  • Finley

unless it's a mini horse, a full grown horse can eat up to 25 POUNDS of stuff before you see a real effect.

4 apples? that's nothing.

That said, if your horses are FAT, then apples have sugar and that's not healthy.

4 apples a day wouldn't be an ideal choice.

A horse with thrush? apples and their sugar are not good either.

A regular horse that's healthy and has no medical issues or thrush, etc... 4 apples is fine.

Theoretically I suppose it's possible, but 4 apples to one horse isn't even a drop in the bucket. Would 4 apples hurt you? Relax. They're in no danger!

• shroud

animals or people all can eat too much

my horse had apple tree in the pasture 4-5 apples is nothing

• Mollie

They should be perfectly fine, as long as they are not getting that many apple daily they will be fine.

Of Course ! But it would probably take over a Dozen- before it would become "too many..." ;)

Of course.