Graphics card under 100 for Dell Optiplex 755?

I need to upgrade my graphics card. Not to play high end games like battlefield, but lower games like Sonic Generations, Call of duty (MW2 and CoD4 years), and Mass Effect Trilogy.

After looking at the specs for these games, it looks like my graphics card needs an upgrade. U was worried about which cards could 'fry my system'. I need a guide to get a card under $100 that would work with my system and be able to play games as listed above. Here are my specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: OptiPlex 755

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.01A04

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @2.66GHz (2CPUs), ~2.7GHz

Memory: 2058MB RAM

DirectX Version DirectX11

Device Display Name: Intel(R) Q35 Express Chipset Family

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip Type: Intel(R) GMA 3100

DAC Type: Internal

Approx. Total Memory: 256 MB

Current Display: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Generic PnP Monitor

All Directx features are Enabled

Driver: igdumd64,dll,igdumdx32

Version: 8.15.10.1930

WHQL: Yes

DDI Ver.: 9Ex

Driver Model: WDDM 1.0

After searching around, I've found a card that could possibly be a match for me:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00654X8OU/ref=ox...

However, I don't know if it's compatible with my system. Could someone help?

Favorite Answer

For $100 you should be able to get at LEAST 1gb of GDDR5. The more ram on your gpu (graphics processing unit), the more ram you have free for your cpu. All in all, everything will run faster. The graphics card you found is extremely outdated and I don't recommend it at all.

You should be able to buy a Radeon HD 6xxx (the generation just before the newest 7xxx series of AMD cards) for little to no hassle. Something like the 6670 might be nice. An Asus 6670 sells for $89 on Amazon. Other manufacturers are cheaper, but their build quality might also be lower. Keep that in mind. XFX (I'm a loyal customer of theirs) and occasionally Sapphire are good alternatives. (http://www.amazon.com/EAH6670-DIS-1GD5-Radeon-128-...

What you suggested is a valid choice, but keep in mind that the 6670 was released 3 years after the 2900. That means better driver support and better architecture. The 6670 will display games better than the 2900. This seems to be more in line with what you want out of the card.

However, this all depends on the PCIe sockets on your motherboard. Older boards require older cards, you give the BIOS version, but not whether your PCIe sockets are x16, x8, or x4. The card I mentioned runs best on a PCIe x16 slot. You can find out what socket you have by reading any text on the motherboard near them (but sometimes mass-produced desktops use aftermarket mobos that aren't labeled) or finding a picture of PCIe slots and comparing them. The latter might be the best route; they all look pretty different.

Another way to find a good card is research, but use good keywords. Google 'best graphics cards under $100' and consumer reports or IGN or someplace like that will give you a list of CURRENT graphics cards that fit your needs. Falling back on a legacy card like the one you suggested means little to no support from AMD, and maybe even drivers that don't work with your version of Windows.

Now that I'm done nerding out, I wish you the best of luck upgrading your rig!

your not going to be upgrading anything untill you upgrade your power supply look at a 600 watt power supply and a ati 5770 hd its about 20 times as powerful as your current 'graphics card'

You can't change a GPU in a laptop because it's mounted into the motherboard which costs more than the laptop itself.