What Amp do I need 3 kicker cvx?

I blew out my 5500 watt BAMF amp pushin my kickers. I got 3 cvx 12' 4ohm. I believe are 750 rms each. Any suggestions will be appreciated

Favorite Answer

CVX's are dvc's so you'd need to wire them with the coils in series and subs parallel. That would give you a total impedance of 2.67 ohms. If you did that with the bamf5500 the amp shouldn't have had any problems -- although at that impedance it would only produce 1200-1400w.

If you wired all the coils parallel you would be at 0.67 ohms which would be likely to lead to problems with a lower quality amp like Pwr Ac.

If you want to get something close to 750 to each sub you need an amp that's 2kw or more at 2 ohms. There aren't many amps capable of that level of power at 2 ohms, and none of them are cheap. Only one I can think of is <$400 -- the audiopipe apcl30001d. It will do around 3000w at 2 ohms. It's $340 at vminnovations.com.

Beyond that you'd be looking at something like the Alpine mrx-m240 which is right around 2kw at 2.67 and it's $500. There's also the Kicker zx2500.1.

The other thing to consider -- amps that powerful require a LOT of current from your electrical system. A stock alternator would probably only survive a few months at best. You're going to want to look into your high output alternator options.