What is the best craft store? Joann's Michaels or Hobby Lobby?

Joann's is the closest to me but I don't think the selection is all that good. I mainly have been working with Polymer clay and they don't have much supplies for that. I have been going to Michales because of the coupons on the receipt but is Hobby Lobby better/. Like which stores are best for what kind of things? If you craft where do you go?

Favorite Answer

.....Hobby Lobby is a huge craft store, carrying lots of different crafts.

.....Joanns is primarily a fabric store which now has a craft section too. It carries fewer crafts, and fewer products for each craft. You can sometimes find what you want at Joanns though if they happen to have it.

.....Michaels is a *slightly* smaller craft store than Hobby Lobby, but pretty much the same and carries lots of different crafts and their products as well.

(Btw, I believe that Joanns honors timely coupons** from Michaels. Not sure about Hobby Lobby too, but you could ask.)

As for polymer clay and its supplies, Michaels and Hobby Lobby both carry some brands and lines of polymer clay (but for example, Hobby Lobby carries the excellent Kato Polyclay brand, where Michaels doesn't...Michaels carries its own brand of low-quality polymer clay called Craftsmart, where Hobby Lobby doesn't).

Many "supplies" and equipment for polymer clay however, are usually just found around the house/garage. Others will be available online or at larger craft stores (or even sometimes art supply stores, or places like Joanns).

If you're interested, I've written lots of answers before about supplies and equipment for polymer clay, where to buy polymer clay, brands and lines of polymer clay and their differences, etc. Here are just a few:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ah3Tm...

...and http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201104...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201112...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201205...

** I know Joanns honors the 40% off one item coupons that are printed biweekly in the Sunday paper, and also online at the Michaels' site or that come to your email if you "sign up" (free) for them. But I don't know anything about coupons "on the receipts"...Joanns likely accepts those too though.

.

Closest Michaels Craft Store

Michaels Hobby Store

Here is the info on the coupons:

"JoAnn will take coupons from Michaels, Hancock Fabrics, and Hobby Lobby. They also let you use more than coupon per purchase. So if you have a 40% off any 1 regular-priced item coupon from Michaels, Hancock, and Hobby Lobby, you can use all 3 if you are buying at least 3 items. The one major exclusion is that JoAnn will NOT accept a competitor’s coupon good for an item they don’t carry. For example, you can’t use a Michaels coupon when buying fabric at JoAnn’s since Michaels doesn’t sell fabric.

Michaels will happily accept competitor coupons from the following retailers: AC Moore, JoAnn Fabric and Crafts, Ben Franklin, and Hobby Lobby. The cool thing about Michaels is they’ll let you use more than one coupon per transaction. So for example, if you have a Joann coupon good for 40% off any 1 item, you can use it with a Michaels printable coupon good for 25% off your entire purchase. Keep in mind that the item you got for 40% off will be not be eligible for the 25% discount as well.

It is also worth noting that Michaels will not accept competitor coupons good for a flat percentage off your entire order. They won’t take a 25% off your entire order coupon from Ben Franklin but they’ll happily accept a 50% off any 1 item coupon." - Kyle, a blogger at Rather-be-shopping.com.

Hobby Lobby is a lot simpler. They will not take competitor coupons, but their 40% one regular priced item is literally available on their website 24/7, while JoAnn and Michaels will change periodically.

Note that Hobby Lobby will only accept one coupon per day.

Diane B. is right about what each store carries.

Joann is more focused on fabric/sewing, Michaels is more focused on straight crafts, and Hobby Lobby is more generalized. So if you're looking for the best selection of thread, JoAnn. If you're looking for the best selection of home accents or furniture, Hobby Lobby. If you're looking for the best selection of spray paint, Michaels. And it goes on.

Hope this clarifies the coupons a bit.

I use DOZENS of stores on line, depending on WHAT I am looking for at the time.

(I may not buy everything for any single project from a single source either!)