Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 7 years ago

Would it be accurate for me to assume that a bunch of weird compounds would form if you irradiated DNA?

I mean radiation of subatomic particles

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Lol
    Lv 5
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, if you expose DNA to radiation of subatomic particles, you would get some new interesting compounds!

Subatomic particles can be penetrating, ionizing and can also produce different type of radiation:

Neutrons, and β radiation can break chemical bonds and therefore produce very reactive free-radical compounds! These compounds have one or more nonpaired chemical bonds, so therefore these react very easily! It's logical to assume bonding free-radical nucleotides would create larger molecules!

Other way these can interact is creating ions or ionizing atoms/molecules which would interact again to create new compounds!

However, ionizing atoms and creating free radicals can also shorten molecules of DNA! This is more likely to happen due to high energy of radiation particles!

Neutrons on the other side can react with nucleus of atom/s and that way produce new atoms! For example: neutron + carbon = nitrogen! So by that way of replacing atoms would create even more different compounds!

Other types of radiation can have similar effects, but these are more exotic types of radiation f.e.: cosmic radiation!

However exposing DNA to radiation would also heat it, so that way it could thermally decompose into simpler compounds or create graphite!

After all, I'd say you'd get relatively different and small molecules!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.