B
B asked in Social SciencePsychology · 7 years ago

Is it normal to become more introverted and shy as you get older?

When I was in my early teen years, I was super outgoing. I went to all the parties, hung out all the time, etc. I was the girl who was a little ahead of her age and started doing stuff way before everyone else. Now that I'm getting older... I'm about at that "young adult" age mark now and I'm different... Yes, I still like to go out and date and stuff, but I'm super shy... I can't talk to anyone. I feel like I have a social problem... I go all out of my way to not talk to people, but I'm not depressed. I'm terrified of the thought of partying and I even take classes online now so I don't have to face people. I know a lot of people will say I'm maturing and probably working more towards my future goals, but honestly, that's not it. I don't feel any more mature than I was and I'm still having a hard time focusing on school.

Hi there, yes it is possible. I know a few people that had the same experiences. You've just gone through changes and you're not that outgoing girl you used to be. It's okay to be introverted and shy. However, keep in mind that interacting with others is a large part of life and you can't hide forever. Social skills are all about practice, so if you avoid social contact, this will only get worse. You have to push yourself to socialize more so that you gain more confidence. When you do socialize and get positive feedback from others, it will only help make you more outgoing. Good luck!!

• Rick

Something must have happened for you to have changed this much. It seems like such a contrast to how you were when you were younger. It sounds like it could be social anxiety. The fact that you didn't have this in any way earlier in your life makes me wonder. I have a niece who has social anxiety and is on medication for it. But she's been shy for as long as I can remember.

I'm not a big fan of medications as the first choice of treatment or as the best fixes for those with most disorders. I see them as a quick fix which doesn't get to the root of the problem. So, I highly recommend you speak with your family doctor about this and get their opinion. If they go the medication route, tell them you'd like to see a good therapist/psychologist first.

Whether something happened to you or not, you have changed. You still have to live in a society where you will come across people, live and work with people. I think you may have to accept and reach a place where you can be social to an extent and still be yourself.

It does help to find someone you can be yourself with and talk. I have found a boy-friend who understands because he is a loner. He need his space and such. I have been an introvert all of my life. I like being around people to a certain extent (even crowds, but not much.They exhaust me to be honest.) and do whatever I want to do, but, I always look forward to being by myself. I thrive on it actually. It sounds like you are a loner, but, I am not one to diagnose that.

• ?

It's not abnormal. With maturity comes new habits.

Are you having fun yet young lady, if not shame on ya