Is it common that those training, after basic, to have to spend weekends in hotels at their own expense?

My nephew is in Ranger Training. His grandma tells us he has to pay for a room and meals out of pocket Fri, Sat, and Sunday nights and return to base Monday through Friday. Sounds odd to me.

My sister-in-law gets confused often. Perhaps he has or intends to signed up for Ranger training. So, just out of basic and heading to the next level of training -whatever that may be- would there be any possibility this would happen and if so, why? would he be reimbursed? would the "sequester" have something to do with this? I think she is getting worked up over nothing but I want to know facts before I attempt to explain anything to her. He is in Ft Benning GA

Favorite Answer

I can tell you he is NOT in Ranger School if he is getting weekends off. For starters.

If there were a weird case where they required them to lodge and subsist off post over the weekend..they would get reimbursed for it.

But bottom line. He isn't in Ranger School. Ranger School is a 63 day, 24/7 straight kick in the balls. Which makes the rest of his story suspicious.

Make sure and tell Granny not to send that crisp new $5.00 bill she was going to stick in that card.

Edit:

After basic he will be in AIT (his job training). Most of the MOS trained at Benning conduct OSUT..which means basic and AIT are rolled into one long course. Usually at some stage during AIT they will start letting them have weekend passes if they are squared away. But even then they aren't REQUIRED to leave post or eat outside of the chow hall. They can do so if they choose (and many do) but they aren't required to.

Like I said..if there was some weird reason the were required to they would be reimbursed. I attended a school once where the dining facility was contract ran and closed on the weekends. We received per diem on the weekends.

Source(s): Me, 25 years in the US Army so far
  • What sounds odd is that he isn't training 7 days a week like the other Ranger Candidates.

Assuming this is true, the remaining question is "Officer or Enlisted?" Officers DO pay for their own meals and lodging.

Oh, yeah. Ranger training doesn't follow Basic, even if you're assigned to a Ranger Unit. "Ranger" is not an MOS, it's an enhanced skill-set. After Basic, you go to your MOS training then on to your Unit, THEN at some point in the future, you MIGHT go to Ranger school. Everyone doesn't get to/have to go, not even everyone in a Ranger Unit actually goes to Ranger School, since you sometimes get transferred OUT of the Rangers while you're still waiting for your Ranger School slot to become available.

They over-book the living hell out of it so badly that even if you get Orders and GO THERE you still might get sent-back.

It's impossible to tell without actually knowing the situation, not just what you are hearing from Grandma. Unless he is on leave, the Army is paying for or providing his meals and lodging. If he chooses not to stay on base during the weekend, then he pays for it.

Sounds to me like he trying to scam Grandma into sending him money!

• Wraeth

1) He is not in Ranger training.

2) He has a barracks room to live in and a chow hall to eat at. If he is DECIDING on his own to use his weekends to go off post and live in a hotel all weekend, that has nothing to do with the Army. That is on him.

3) The sequester, furloughs, gov't shut down, etc have nothing to do with military pay and lodging.

Source(s): US Army Scout

I don't think he's in Ranger training. Ranger trainees aren't given Friday, Saturdays, and Sundays off to go party at a hotel while undergoing training.

It is his choice. The military supplies him with a room in the barracks and three meals a day at the chow hall 7 days a week.

He has decided not to stay on base on the week end.

yes it is

your nephew is also paying for the weapons, ammo, and other supplies hes using at Park Ranger training

• Mrsjvb

if he chooses to leave base on the weekends then yes he must pay for it out of pocket. he is not forced to. and in fact will not always get permission to do so.

• Jay L

sounds like he is scamming grandma for some extra pocket money

He wants to get some pvssy for the weekend, otherwise he can stay in the barracks !!!!