Did people die from cold viruses or Bacterial Infections like step throat or bronchitis in stone age/medieval?

People wayyyyy back than obviously didn't have access to proper health, clinics, doctors or penicillin or antibiotics etc...

We now have proper treatment for all those cold virus or bacterial infectious diseases

BUT what about people in the stone age or medieval era? Did they die from Cold viruses? If not than for sure bacterial infections right??

I mean today, most of us that get the common cold can fight it off because our body responds well to it for instance our immune system can kill the cold virus and we hardly have to see the doctor for the commom cold because it goes away in a week or so...

What about the people who get bacterial infections like step throat etc... did they survive? I heard that your body needs antibiotics or penicillin to destroy the bacterias BUT would people have survived the infections if they solely relied on their bodies to fight it off?? I mean I heard your body causes fever to rise your temperature so the bacteria don't multiply, but does it actually stop the infection and cure it??

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Prehistoric people lived shorter lives on average because many of them died from bacterial or viral infections. The plague killed a lot of people all over the world, not just in Europe. In fact we don't need to look too far back in time to know that people died routinely from bacterial and viral infections. The World War 1 flu pandemic is a good example. It killed between 20 to 40 million people. Average life span for people living in the first half of the 20th century wasn't much higher than the thousands of years preceding it. Even nowadays people can die quickly of bacterial diseases if they live far from medical clinics, or if they have no money for medical help.

The human HIV virus originated in the chimp and this virus wiped out a lot of chimps before some of them accidentally evolved resistance and then immunity to the disease. Whenever a new disease or strain of bacteria or viruses evolves, it can be deadly because few to no individuals have immunity. The SARS virus for example killed many people before it was contained inside hospitals and exterminated when people that contracted the virus died and people who have immune systems that could kill the virus survived. The danger we face now is overuse of antibiotics in farm animals. The overuse creates new drug resistant strains that can become the source of another epidemic. In other words, we would be no better off than prehistoric people if our antibiotics are no longer effective.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.