Can't Afford College?

After searching extensively, I've realized I can't afford any type of college whatsoever. Not even community college.

I don't qualify for many scholarships, and the few I do qualify for only offer $500. Even if I apply for dozens of those 500 dollar scholarships, it still wouldn't cover a full year's tuition, room/board, etc.

My family income is 21k, so there's no way my mom could give me any money for anything related to higher educaiton. I really wanted to go to Depaul U, but its yearly tuition is killer.

What can I do? I'm graduating june 2014, but all my plans for the future are looking bleak because I'm not well rounded/academically gifted enough for helpful grants/scholarships.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • K
    Lv 4
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You first step should be to submit a FAFSA application for financial aid in January. This will make you eligible for many grants, work-study and low interest loans.

If your grades and coursework are good, you might be eligible for need-based scholarships to universities.

Community college is a great option. Many students take this route. Good luck.

• 4 years ago

1. Lots of white males get federal and state grants and student loans. Many scholarships are based solely on academics. 2. Do you mean to say that you haven't even finished high school and YOU have bad credit? or your mom? 3. Arizona State and Michigan State send graduates on to medical schools (personal knowledge); why can't Cal State? 4. Med schools are unlikely to care where you get your first two years of introductory level courses. Check out your local community college. They're much cheaper, the classes are smaller, and the instructors are often as good as those at the universities. Many of the instructors probably teach at nearby universities as well, and some of them will be MAs pursuing their doctorates at nearby universities. 5. If not now, then after finishing high school, see if you can get a job in a hospital...doing anything. Hospitals have been known to help employees with medical studies... mentoring and such. Or get certified as a paramedic, or in medical billing or as a physician's assistant, or something similar that will pay better than most jobs that students work their way through school with. That way you'll have a job in the medical field before you even start at the university. AND you can take yourself off your parents' income taxes, so their incomes and credit won't affect your financial aid eligibility. Good Luck

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Haha nobody can afford college. I don't know one person who has gotten all of their college paid for. You need to go to the fafsa website and apply for financial aid. By doing this you may or may not get some of your college paid for, but you will definitely get approved to take out loans, which is what most people have to do. If I were you, I would seriously consider going to community college for maybe a year or two just to get your basic classes out of the way, and then go to a university. In all honesty though, if your parents total income is really only about 20,000 dollars than you should get a lot of "free" money, as in money you don't have to pay back.

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

You need to go to this website and fill out the application to see whether or not you can get "free" money. If you aren't able to get that, it will tell you which loans you are approved to take out. I would do this around January 2014, and May 2014 at the latest.

Just remember, loans are okay as long as you are responsible enough to pay them back.

• Lucius
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Apply for Federal Student Aid http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

Look at cheaper local colleges, tech schools. Maybe even just a skill training program for a specific career you're interested in. Anything is better than nothing!

If college is out of reach, as it is for many maybe look into Jobs Corps http://www.jobcorps.gov/Home.aspx Low income people between 16-24 generally are accepted. It's a free skill training program to help you get a career. But this should be your last resort. It's best to try to get into college. But Jobs Corps is better than nothing at all.

Good luck!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jason
    Lv 5
    6 years ago

Hey, i'm sorry, but the truth is, not everyone can go to college, graduate, major, get a job, and get by.

It's the truth. The way out society is built.

I don't know what to tell you. You must have not done anything, no sports, no clubs, no studying, nothing.

What does this tell colleges and the rest of the world?

You are living in the present and don't care about your future, the only reason you are freaking out now is because you are afraid.

Just try as hard as you can this year, it will not appeal to colleges much, but an increased trend is better than all crappy grades and extracurriculars.

• 6 years ago

Have you not looked at federal financial aid? With that family income and good grades, you could probably get a full ride at some schools.

• 6 years ago

live at home & commute to the closest community college

go ahead & apply to "dream schools" and in-state safety schools because you might be eligible for need-based aid or state aid --- at least apply to the schools & fill out FAFSA to give them a chance to respond to your admission & fin aid requests

once you fill out FAFSA & apply for Fin Aid at local community college, you might discover that is affordable if you are willing to work while going to school

plenty of full-time students work full-time jobs

if nothing works out that can make school affordable (and usually it won't if you are trying to live on campus & don't qualify for merit aid or state aid)... then live at home & get the highest paying job with the most amount of hours that you can find, or work 2 jobs... save your money so you can pay to go to school part-time

• 6 years ago

Apply for a FAFSA online. If you can't afford internet at your house, go to a Library. It's free, and tell them your situation. I'm sure they'll understand.

• Rob
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

seriously? u are underinformed.

u got a library with in 30 miles of

where u live?

go there for your answers.

take mom/dad also so they can learn

to earn twices as much.

poverty is a series of choices not

birthright.

go to a library, even a bookstore.

Source(s): exstreet person, employer now, thanks librarys
  • ?
    Lv 6
    6 years ago

Get a student loan.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.