My mac desktop has grey screen with globe.?

I have my mac desktop for 7 years and it is stuck on a grey screen with a globe i have tried everything and it's still on the gery screen..Does anyone know how long computers last? And what else can i do to see if my computer works it starts fine but goes to a gery screen with a globe.

Favorite Answer

First off, you should tell what you have. We would really like to help you for the exact thing you own. If you don't know what you bought, read the label on it. Could be iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Pro, Power Macintosh G5, Power Macintosh G4, etc. Also, tell us the OS version. Could be OS 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8.

One thing's for sure: This globe icon DOESN'T mean failing drive or operating system corruption. Sure, the drive could be failing, but that would be unrelated to the globe icon. DO NOT TAKE IT TO A REPAIR CENTER (uh, maybe the one someone would suggest is the Geek Squad???)....yet.

Try this....

– Restart while holding the option key for 45 seconds.

– Select the "Mac" system partition.

– Press Return.

– When it is fully started, open System Preferences > Startup Disk.

– Click the icon for the Mac system.

– Quit System Preferences and restart normally.

<0-0>

• ?

Grey Screen Mac

Hello! Sorry to hear you're having issues with your Mac. The grey screen with a globe typically means that the computer is trying to "Net boot"; in other words, it is trying to start up using an internet connection instead of the installed software. There can be many reasons why it is doing that, including failing hard drives or operating system corruption. Apple computers do tend to last for a long time, but 7 years is a long life for any computer! What I would do in this situation is get your computer to an Apple certified repair center. Many places offer free consultation sessions, so you can get troubleshoot the issue without having to pay for diagnostics up front. You can make an appointment to visit the Apple Store Genius Bar here: http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/geniusbar/

Here is also a support article from Apple demonstrating the troubleshooting tips for such errors:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2570

CQAA Agent Kadryn G

Answered on 10/4/2013

Badge #47981

Covert Operations

7 years of computer experience, specializing in Apple products.

I don't have a Mac desktop, but my laptop would go black when it was asleep and I thought it was dead. If you click around does it come back on after a few seconds? Seems simple, but I couldn't figure it out for the longest time because it looked like it was turned off.