Comcast sent me a warning letter for torrenting...What can I do to prevent this in the future?

Below is the notice from Comcast. I use it for TV shows mostly because I don't have time to watch them when they air on TV. I want to continue to use Torrent but this worries me tremendously. Anyone with similar experience? What did you do? FYI, I use piratebay and this is the first warning I've ever gotten (been using it for years)

Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Subscriber:

Comcast has received a notification by a copyright owner, or its authorized agent, reporting an alleged infringement of one or more copyrighted works made on or over Comcast's High-Speed Internet service (the 'Service'). The copyright owner has identified the Internet Protocol ('IP') address associated with your Service account at the time as the source of the infringing works. The works identified by the copyright owner in its notification are listed below. Comcast reminds you that use of the Service (or any part of the Service) in any manner that constitutes an infringement of any copyrighted work is a violation of Comcast's Acceptable Use Policy and may result in the suspension or termination of your Service account.

If you have any questions regarding this notice, you may direct them to Comcast in writing by sending a letter or e-mail to:

Comcast Customer Security Assurance

Comcast Cable Communications, LLC

1800 Bishops Gate Blvd., 3rd Floor East Wing

Mount Laurel, NJ 08054 U.S.A.

Phone: (888) 565-4329

Fax: (856) 324-2940

For more information regarding Comcast's copyright infringement policy, procedures, and contact information, please read our Acceptable Use Policy by clicking on the Terms of Service link at http://www.comcast.net.

Sincerely,

Comcast Customer Security Assurance

Copyright work(s) identified in the notification of claimed infringement:

Evidence:

Case ID: P45281248

Work Title: The Heat Movie

Copyright Owner: Patrick Collins Inc DBA

Unauthorized File Name: The Heat Movie 2013

Unauthorized Hash:

Unauthorized File Size: 1710526758 bytes

Unauthorized Protocol: BitTorrent

Timestamp: 2013-09-28 16:22:36 North American Eastern Time

Unauthorized IP Address:

Unauthorized Port:

Favorite Answer

Pirating is illegal. What you do is stop pirating movies. Other stuff, sure. But not movies or music.

The problem is the specific movie that you downloaded.

If you want to continue downloading movies and music then use a different site and stop using comcast as your internet provider if you can. Definitely stop using Piratebay.

Obviously they are giving away your information to the people that have issues.

There are many other sites that you can download movies and shows off of. Or you can just find a site that allows you to watch movies and tv shows without downloading them.

Personally, we don't even have cable tv. We watch tv on the internet instead.

Source(s): I don't know anybody who doesn't use a torrent at some point.
  • Hey just heads up.. Every post above with the exception of jesse, and Jonathan is some pure crap. Including our best answer here from Cindy C who got 5 thumbs down (how does Yahoo figure best answer if that's the public opinion?)

If you are here like the OP.. Odds are you just got a warning for some dumb crap and here is the situation.

Comcast has got its nose up everyone's butt well in advance. They cant press charges but they can throttle your service.

Switch Internet service providers is the best course of action. Or you get a VPN which you can also pirate (get for free) Problem with that is setting up a pirated VPN can be a pain in the butt.. However paying for one is not so bad and can go for anywhere from 7 USD a year to above that.

A VPN masks your activity from potential hackers as well as brown nosed ISP's like Comcast and they cant read a list of sites you visit or what your activity is. There is many benefits to a VPN program but the main cherry is cutting your business out of comcast's range of view.

Really who wants some bored Ahole at Comcast reading their activity anyways??

Get a VPN and take back your privacy and freedom.

Comcast And Torrents

the CAS provides alerts to specific ISPs (like Comcast) when they detect specific things being torrented without the required copyright license. After a few more warnings they can throttle your service.

Oh, and the copyright owners can also sue you for up to $150,000 for each and every unauthorized copy or stream you created using their works. 17 USC 504. If your piracy has exceeded $1,000 worth of lost income to the copyright owners, they can simply file federal criminal charges. 18 USC 2319.

I have never used torrents for anything anywhere in the world at any time. There are much more secure means for transfer of files.

You are always being monitored mostly from uploading content. I just started using an onion routing system advor is the app rearranges ip address should have no prob with anonymity. They always watch most downloaded material also once information has been sent they have your ip address. The problem is someone must press charges and it has to be the person who owns copyrighted material in civil court. also budget to crack down on downloaders has been denied. I would be more worried about losing comcast service then court, but thats me and i'm an idiot.

• Vodkie

using torrents to download stuff is illegal. You don't have time to watch them when they air on TV?

Thats why the following options were invented

DVDs

Blu-rays

itunes

Amazon.com instant video

The show's official website with Streaming episodes

DVR

TV on Demand

if you continue using torrents, comcast is probably gonna terminate your service.

The title you got a warning for - the copyright owner can sue you for torrenting it and also comcast for allowing you to torrent it.. And so can basically any movie, music, tv company

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axfe9

From what I've read recently, all that will happen is a chance Comcast will cancel your service.

see Online Copyright Infringement Liability Limitation Act

It's pure bullshit....**** them if they can't take a joke.....I just got 15 of those letters from those assholes for a stupid xmas album I downloaded....old ones to listen to for five minutes at my in-laws, then it was uploaded for a few days before I deleted it....all of it....and then I get my mailbox stuffed with their bullshit....**** them...seriously, this is like 1984 and Big Brother is watching....Big Brother is not the "Government"....or is it?....it's corporate interest which nowadays is the synonymous with it....who controls our government and influences it...btw, those albums were old Dean Martin and Sinatra....weren't those guys owned by the Mafia?....seems to me like those assholes are still in control then and pulling the strings....**** them all!

while reading a written reserve, you're stimulating your brain. You transform your life reading and literacy skills and you simply along the way, become more literate. Despite having today's modern tools, you need to be able to read still.

While watching t.v. can be good fun, it isn't doing anything to the human brain.