How soon do you get toxic shock syndrome?

Today I went in to my doctor for a vaginal inspection on some irritation I had. She did the whole inspection and said everything looked healthy, and it's probably some external inflammation. When I got home I noticed blood coming out and I assumed it was my period because it was an expected time. I put in a tampon and went on for 5-6 hours and took it out. The tampon came easily for the most part. There was no blood on my tampon... And since I'm a Virgin I came to the conclusion that she must have popped my cherry... Which could make sense haha. Knowing that I have worn the tampon for that long with no period, am I at great risk for TSS? How soon would I notice symptoms? Also I'm really concerned because I'm getting over a severe case of mono that lowered my immune system. It's not perfect but my white blood cell count is at an acceptable level, so my doctor told me to be careful still in terms of getting sick/infections.

• Kasha
    Favorite Answer

TSS will normally come on within the first few hours of use - the idea that it only occurs from leaving tampons too long is a myth, if the bacterial toxins responsible are present and you lack immunity effect is immediate - given your lowered immune system you'd likely see symptoms of TSS fairly quickly.

Initial symptoms of TSS include;

- Sudden high fever (38°C/100.4°F).

- Low blood pressure.

- Nausea and/or vomiting.

- Sunburn-like skin rash.

- Diarrhoea or constipation.

- Fainting or feeling faint.

- Dizziness and confusion

- Muscle aches.

Symptoms can vary greatly from person to person and depending on which organs are effected, but with all cases you'd have high fever and low blood pressure - you'd feel very ill, like having a bad case of flu. If you don't have a fever TSS is unlikely. If you suspect TSS see your doctor, they cannot diagnose TSS unless you have a specific set of symptoms, but they can take blood tests to check for TSST-1 antibodies which will tell you if you are at risk and they can prescribe antibiotics to help treat TSS.

You need to be more careful with tampon use - you shouldn't use tampons with light flow, use pads or you can safely use menstrual cups or softcups which are internal but with no risks of TSS like tampons.

As a note - you do not have a cherry and nothing pops.

You may have a hymen but it is unlikely that it was torn during the examination - the hymen doesn't cover much of the vaginal opening and is flexible so can stretch, the hymen will normally only tear with forced or rough penetration, and rarely bleeds. Bleeding was most likely due to vaginal damage as a result of the examination and inflammation, or the start of menstruation - it's very unlikely it was the hymen tearing.

You ARE Loved (TSS information and real-life stories) - http://www.you-are-loved.org

My Corona: The Anatomy Formerly Known as the Hymen & the Myths That Surround It - http://m.scarleteen.com/article/body/my_corona_the...

TSS is a rare but very serious matter. I think it's okay to wear a tampon in for that long, just not over 8 hours. It can take anywhere from 2 or so weeks, to a few years to start noticing symptoms. If you a really concerned, see a doctor or GP. Otherwise I would say you are fine, but there is nothing wrong with getting it checked anyway. If you do notice symptoms go to a doctor or GP straight away! TSS can be fat.

Well the first syymptom would probably be severe disziness. I woulnt worry about tss too much its very uncommon. I woukd however worry about a yeast infection or uti which are very common especiwlly in tampon users.

Hmm, well I think it depends on each person. I pride myself on having a pretty good immune system, but when I put a tampon in once for about seven hours (trust me to forget it was there) I was fine, and my period had ended that day without my knowing... so yeah :)

Source(s): Experience I guess