what do you do with an ssd lol?

i am going to sound like an idiot but bear with me, i know nothing about computers

i play a game where loading time is crucial and im sick of having slow load screens so i've been told to get an ssd

what does it do and how would i set it up if i got one?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Best Answer

An SSD is a specific type of Hard Drive, which is where things like files and programs that you install are stored.

Your basic hard drive works by storing information in a, for lack of a better term, haphazard manner. Thus, in order for you to pull up something stored on that drive, it has to be searched for. Normally, this time span is negligible, however it can become a nuisance when the drive is old or damaged, etc.

An SSD, or Solid State Drive, stores data sequentially, or in order. This means that it takes significantly less time to find and load the data that is stored.

Now then, in your case I doubt that an SSD would help much. Typically, an SSD will only decrease the initial loading of the game (so the time it takes from when you double-click on the icon to when the game is up and running). The in-game load times are more dependent on the power of your processor, as well as the amount of RAM you have and what specific speed your RAM is.

Source(s): Pursuing a Degree in Computer Science, and working in IT
  • 6 years ago

An SSD is a solid state hard disk. A normal hard disk uses a spinning platter and moving heads to store and read data. A solid state drive using memory chips, very similar to what is in a flash drive only much faster. Since you don't have to wait for the heads to find the data on the drive and then pull it off when the platters get into position, it is able to find and retrieve data much faster.

It is, of course, dramatically more expensive than a HDD. A 256 gig SSD will cost $160 or more, while you can purchase a 3 TB HDD for less than that. Prices on SSDs are coming down slowly.

• 6 years ago

If you are serious about gaming, or do a lot of work on the PC, then an SSD is a great addition. Faster read and write speeds, less power consumption, and no noise.

Prices have been lower than in previous years, but have recently started to climb again.

http://www.atdcomputers.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MZ...

The Samsung 840 Pro is one of the best out there. You can easily use the software that comes with it to "ghost" the data on your old drive to the new one.

The regular 840 series is also good if you are on a budget. a 120GB can be bought for around $90-$95.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

it's a solid state drive and you stick it in your computer. since you're clueless you have two options:

learn it yourself or have someone do it for you. the internet has plenty of information and you have everything you need to learn. start by asking google (and youtube) what you don't know.

an ssd is marginally faster than a standard high performance hard drive, it may decrease load times 2-3 times.

There are two kinds of SSD:

- SATA interface SSD, one that connects to a SATA cord and acts like a hard drive. your computer would need to have SATA III ports to take full advantage of a modern SSD drive. if you have a computer pre-2012 you will probably have a SATA II port and only see a 2x increase in speed. Modern drives use SATA III, they are backwards compatible but you'll only get half the speed you bought. SATA III is 4x faster than a regular hard drive.

- PCI-E interface SSD's are the fastest possible storage device commonly used for server or workstation applications. They only require a spare PCI-E slot most computers have extras of, they are typically 10X or faster than a traditional hard drive but performance comes at increased cost. I've learned Windows Vista does not like PCI-E SSD's.

for SATA interface SSD it's like installing a new hard drive

for PCI-E interface it's like installing a new expansion card.

after installation you may need to visit the drive management to initialize the drive to it'll pop up in windows. it's very easy to do.

A good SATA SSD would be the OCZ Vertex 128G 450 featuring speeds 4X faster than a standard drive for $108. http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology-2-5-Inch-Acro... ssd vertex 4

I have a PCI-E mounted SSD, OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2, basically top-of-the-line SSD 480 GB capacity offering 15X speed increase over a standard hard drive. Currently available for $700... which is odd since I bought it in 2012 for $329 . Hmm must have been a special promotion.

Youtube will provide all the instruction necessary for this project.

Or you can have someone do it for you for about $100.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

SSD's are generaly faster, however, I am unsure about the liability, I heard it's worse to use multiple of them 2-3 is okay.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

It's a virtual drive, solid state drive that you create on your hard disk drive to run programs, games etc. a lot faster than an actual DVD or Blu Ray drive can.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.