Erin asked in HealthWomen's Health · 6 years ago

Im worried I have TSS?

im crying because im terrified i have toxic shock syndrome. I dont want to die. Im only 13!!

I got a headache and diareha at school and i felt dizzy and cold. All in one day. About.a week ago, i cut myself when masterbating and im worried bacteria got in there. Im so young and i just cry at the possibility.

I use tampons, but my period was two weeks ago. I read that cuts of the clitorous are also TSS causing.

I dont have autocorrect and im dizzy so sorry about the grammer /:

• Kasha
    Favorite Answer

You don't have TSS.

Initial symptoms of TSS include;

- Sudden high fever (38°C/100.4°F).

- Low blood pressure.

- Nausea and/or vomiting.

- Sunburn-like skin rash.

- Diarrhoea or constipation.

- Fainting or feeling faint.

- Dizziness and confusion

- Muscle aches.

Symptoms can vary greatly from person to person and depending on which organs are effected, but with all cases you'd have high fever and low blood pressure - you'd feel very ill, like having a bad case of flu. If you don't have a fever TSS is unlikely. You'd also be at far greater risk of TSS during your period, tampons account for 75% of all TSS cases, cuts represent significantly lower risk. You do however sound ill so you should go to your doctor, if really concerned about TSS ask your doctor for a TSST-1 antibody test - this isn't a test for TSS, but it can confirm whether or not you're at risk of TSS.

Cuts to any part of your body can lead to TSS but only if you have allowed bacteria to build-up around the cut, such as if you use bandages without changing. As long as you're washing daily there's no reason to think a cut on your genitals will lead to TSS - people cut themselves all the time without contracting TSS.

You really need to re-consider using tampons, at your age even if you understand risks and follow all the precautions to reduce those risks, at your age you have lower immunity to TSST-1 toxins responsible for TSS so you're at higher risk. There's no reason to use tampons, there are better options like menstrual cups - safer (no risk of TSS, infections, increased cramps or bleeding, irritation or allergic reaction, dioxin) and more convenient as they can be worn for 12 hours with any flow and at any time without needing to alternate with pads, plus they don't leak like tampons and are more comfortable.

What Are Menstrual Cups? - http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/what_are_me...

If you use tampons follow precautions;

- Change every 4-6 hours.

- Always use lowest absorbency for your flow.

- Change absorbency as flow changes.

- Alternate with pads as often as possible.

- Avoid rayon tampons; Tampax, Playtex, Kotex.

- Opt for cotton tampons; Cottons, Natracare, Emerita.

- Do not use when not menstruating.

- Do not use with light flow or spotting.

- Do not use overnight while sleeping.

- Do not use with vaginal infections.

- Wash hands before use.

- Store in clean dry place.

- Learn about TSS and other risks.

You ARE Loved (TSS information) - http://www.you-are-loved.org