Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

Book of Mormon: Fulness of Time?

I am reading the book of Mormon and I came across a passage that stumped me, I was hoping you could help me to understand it.

In 2 Nephi 2:3 it says

Wherefore, thy soul shall be blessed, and thou shalt dwell safely with thy brother, Nephi; and thy days shall be spent in the service of thy God. Wherefore, I know that thou art redeemed, because of the righteousness of thy Redeemer; for thou hast beheld that in the fulness of time he cometh to bring salvation unto men.

I thought the "fullness of times" was the time we are living in now (the dispensation of the fulness of times" and that Christ came in the "meridian" of time.

I am confused, I cannot figure this out.

any ideas?

Favorite Answer

2 possibilities:

1 - it just means when the times are fulfilled - the topic of the BoM is the Atonement, therefore the fullness of times could well be the accomplishment of the atonement.

2 - dispensations overlap; for example, we speak of the mornings of the 1st resurrection and the 2nd resurrection, but few realize that the first resurrection has already begun, it happened with Christ, we're in that time now and it will continue through the millennium, so we're probably about 60% of the way through it already while many are waiting for it in the future.

Likewise the "fullness" was when the world had all of the gospel and the complete law (Lehi was under the Law of Moses at this time) - that did indeed come with Christ in His resurrection, but it was lost and then restored. Thus both time-frames count as a fullness of times in that sense.

All the different answers by all the LDS, while very interesting, none of them agree?

I think you should start studying all the contradictions that Fisher has kindly pointed out, I would be much more worried about those.

Mark 1:15 Jesus said:

15 and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”

Galatians 4:3-5

3 Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world:

4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,

5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.

• phrog

a dispensation is a period of time in which the Lord has @least one authorized servant on earth who holds the priesthood keys, and who has a divine commission to dispense the gospel to the inhabitants of the earth....in short, a prophet.

the 'fulness of times' is the final dispensation of restoration and fulfillment of the Lord’s plans and purposes since the world began --- and began with the restoration of the gospel to JS. there are things reserved for the fulness of times that have not been revealed previously (D&C 121:26–32; 124:41 Acts 3:19–21; D&C 27:13; 110:11–16; 112:14–32; 128:18–21; 136:37–40).

I believe "fullness of time" simply refers to when an event is due.

"4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,

6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ."

- Galations 4

Good question. Maybe there's a difference between "the fulness of time" and the "fulness of times." The former probably would mean when it was the right time, and the latter would mean when all times come together, or when everything culminates that has been foretold.

It was made up by Joseph Smith. He was trying to make his "revelations" sound like the kind of English spoken by people in King James' time. There are parts of the Book of Mormon plagiarized word-for-word from the King James Bible, including the errors and anachronisms.

I wish I could help but I can't. I have found that the Book of Mormon contradicts the Bible quite a bit - I'm not sure if that's something you're ok with. I've written down several verses...

The Book of Mormon states: There should be no contradiction if the book of Mormon is to establish the truth of the Bible. (1 Nephi 13:24, 28, 29, 40)

B of M: “Man is a fool if he thinks the Bible is sufficient” (2 Nephi 29:6)

Bible: “Paul thought it was enough. (2 Tim 3:15-17) (1 Thes. 2:13) Jesus always referred to God's Word. (Matt. 4:4-10 * Ps. 119:105)

B of M: “Without sin there would have been no children.” (2 Nephi 2:23)

Bible: Bible gives mandate to multiply before sin in Eden (Gen. 1:28)

B of M: Adam & Eve left Eden in joy. (Nephi 2:22-25)

Bible: God forced them out. (Gen. 3:39) No joy in sin (Rom. 5:12, 14, 15)

B of M: Adams sin enabled us to be born, brought us life (2 Nephi 2:23)

Bible: Adam brought death into the world. (1 Cor. 15:22 * Romans 5:12, 14,15)

B of M: Jesus was born in Jerusalem. (Alma 7:10)

Bible: Jesus was born in Bethlehem (Micah 5:12 * Matthew 2:4,5)

B of M: After his ascension Chris showed disciples his body. (3 Nephi 10:1)

Bible: Christ did not appear after his ascension. (John 14:19 * 1 Pet. 3:18)

B of M: Soul can never die. (Alma 42:9)

Bible: Soul does die. (Ez. 18:4, 20 * Ps. 78:50 * Acts 3:23) It was Satan that said “You shall not die. (Gen. 3:9) God said you positively will die. (Gen. 2:7)

B of M: Hell has no end (1 Nephi 14:3)

Bible: Hell (Hades is Hebrew and is the Greek equivalent of Sheol and refers to the common grave of mankind, where the dead and buried ones are unseen.) is to be destroyed. (Rev. 20:14)

B of M: Men shall build New Jerusalem (3 Nephi 21:23,24)

Bible: New Jerusalem comes from God out of Heaven (Rev. 21:2)

B of M: Joseph Smith claims to have seen God and Christ.

Bible: No man shall see God and live (Ex. 33:20 * 1 John 4:12) No man can see the resurrected Christ “whom not of men has seen or can see.” (1 Tim 6:16 * Col. 1:15)

B of M: I am the father and the son (Mosiah 15:2, 3, 5)

Bible: The father is greater than I (John 14:28) Only one God (Eph. 4:6 * Deut. 6:4 * Mark 12:29 * Heb. 9:24 * Rev. 1:1 * Rev. 3:14 * Rev. 7:10 * Col. 1:3) Jesus was an angel not God (Heb. 2:9 * 1Thes. 4:16 * Heb. 1:4, 5, 6, 13)

B of M: He that keeps the laws of God has no need to break the laws of the land.

Bible: Must obey God as ruler rather than men. (Acts 4:19,20-5:29)

B of M: After this manner therefore pray: Our father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. They will be done on earth as it is in heaven. And forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors. And “lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and power, and the glory, forever. Amen. (3 Nephi 13:9-13)

No mention of letting Gods Kingdom come in the Lords Prayer.

Bible: "Let your kingdom come." (Matt 6:10)

B of M: Adam to be superior person, heavenly marriage, polygamy, new revelations, baptism for the dead, Children aged 7 years and younger have no sin.

Bible: Should not go beyond things written in the Bible. (Gal 1:8) Should not add to or take away (Rev. 22:18,19)

Your reading is for the birds. The text is convoluted like the mind of its writer Joseph Smith.

It's nonsense.

Specifically written to be vague.

Source(s): Ex-mormon
  • Banaus

you just cant make sense of bull5h1t.