Why is it called the Affordable Care Act?

I see the exact same rates for health insurance on the "Healthcare Exchanges" as I did prior to the Affordable Care Act. $200 or more per month. How is that affordable for the average American citizen? That's a monthly car payment.

Favorite Answer

It's a con on the unemployed

If it makes you feel better than $200 per month is only available if you're below the poverty line and don't care if you're going to have to pay insanely high deductibles.

Yeah, it's a complete scam. If you get the same level of coverage you have now your insurance rates are going to double.

After getting laid off, my cobra payments were $900 a month, and that was still cheaper than the private plans. If I let my coverage lapse, I would not be able to get coverage again so I had no choice but to pay $900/mo.

If the ACA had been around back then, I would have gladly paid $200/mo.

You show me where you can get private coverage (that actually COVERS something) for $200/mo.

Well, you know how politicians give new laws names that are deliberately optimistic. Like the Forests Forever Act which allows lumber companies to decimate forests. I would be just as happy to call it 'Obamacare'. 8^)

But I checked it out and it looks like it's going to be much more affordable for me. So thank you, Mr. President.