Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesOther - United States · 8 years ago

New Mexico- Environment and Weather: Snakes, Scorpions, Tornadoes?

I'm moving to New Mexico and I've lived in New England my whole life. I know a lot about dealing with the ocean, blizzards, ice, and unpredictable weather, and I have almost never had to be aware or prepared for wildlife (other than skunks, deer, a few times bears and moose, etc.) or other natural disasters.

*What creatures (like snakes or scorpions etc.) might I see and how do I deal with them? Are there any common sense things to know about avoiding them?

Are tornadoes, hurricanes or floods or something else something I should be prepared for? Like what do I do if there's a tornado warning?

What's weather like on a day-to-day basis throughout the year?

Favorite Answer

Where are you going to live-- New Mexico is a big big state and loads of different ecosystems. Many areas are arid and desert like; in mountainous areas lots of forests, cool temps and rainy much of the year when not snowing. Tornadoes typically form in major supercell thunderstorms and those would generally be forming east of Albuquerque. When there is a tornado warning the meteorologist will advise the location of the possible tornado and its projected path. Tornadoes are typically less than a mile wide, mostly just a few hundred yards and may be on the ground for seconds or even hours. But if you are not in the path of the tornado, nothing to do other than keep the weathercast on. If you are in the direct path of a tornado you take necessary precautions that will be spelled out by the alert.

New Mexico is beautiful by the way, I've been to 46 states and still list it as one of my top 2 states in terms overall beauty. There is a reason so many landscape painters live there. (Hawaii is #1 by the way).

The weather depends on what part of New Mexico you are living in at the time of the year.

It can be very cold unless you are in the South.

There are no tornadoes, but anytime you are outside there are animals.

Snakes and scorpions are not a problem.