Why was France never a superpower?

I mean, prior to the last Napoleonic wars and his invasion of Russia leading to a turning point in 1812 (I think?), Napoleon dominated most of continental Europe and many overseas territories. Obviously Britain was far more powerful when she became a superpower but I do think that France has been left out a bit.... show more I mean, prior to the last Napoleonic wars and his invasion of Russia leading to a turning point in 1812 (I think?), Napoleon dominated most of continental Europe and many overseas territories. Obviously Britain was far more powerful when she became a superpower but I do think that France has been left out a bit. They had a huge influence on the world, almost equal to the UK. I mean, the US wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the French bogging the British down in India and so on.
Update: @Sarge You're confusing England and Britain, after all, it was the british empire wasn't it?