How many more degrees than men must women earn before we take interest in boys'/ men's education?

Favorite Answer

In his book author Richard Whitmire writes:

"...when the alarm went out that girls were not signing up for higher-level math and science classes. The responses from K-12 and parents were extraordinary. .... and yet we we see almost no movement by K-12 educators to intervene to help boys now. Why?" (pp 9-10)

Good studies showed girls were doing fine in education, yet feminists convinced everyone that girls were in crisis and for over 25 years, congress allocated millions to a women's group to reshape education to help girls. Now that boys are truly in crisis, why is nothing being done?

I think the answer is that the results of that 25+ years of effort on the part of feminists makes it difficult for people to accept that there really is a problem going on with boys in education, and the feminists who see it don't want to give up the advantages they've won for girls.

We see it here - feminist go to an extreme to deny that any of these well documented changes exist.

It's not a matter of how bad it needs to get - it's a matter of overcoming all the feminist propaganda that's still around that prevents people from seeing this issue for what it is. (It may get twice as bad, but if nobody realizes it, nobody will take interest.)

~

Also interesting is that meanwhile employers are increasingly placing less importance in the degrees of applicants. In technology fields a degree is cool, but employers know that an I.T. degree is worth only about two years of industry experience. And what you learned in school is obsolete a few years thereafter.

Surely a law degree or medical degree is still required for those fields though.

The bigger question is "How do we correct this imbalance?" or "Why do we have this imbalance?"

I offer a few solutions:

Get parents to grow some balls and tell their sons to put those damn video games away. Better yet, refuse to buy the sons of bitches.

Yes, athletics are nice, but stop believing the fantasy that your son will grow up to be a multi-million dollar football player. Stop loading him up with every sporting activity under the sun. Tell him: "First your grades come up, then I'll shuttle you off to football practice."

I send my son to a private school where I know that grades and education are higher priorities. I look around at the public-schooled boys in the neighborhood with nothing to do but toss a ball around or dig holes while my son is studying.

Waiting for this crap to get fixed by others is both wimpy and ineffective. You have to be the parent and stop being the pal! It begins in the home.

You can't really rely on society to take any interest in males. Individuals must start doing it themselves. Modern public elementary school education is becoming suckier and suckier each year. All because the stupid politicians will withhold funding if we don't use their crap methods.

I would just like to add that this new Y!A layout sucks. Is this Marissa Mayer's dumb idea?

Judging by how much people talk about this on y!a alone, people are taking interest in it. I couldn't care any less but it seems like enough people are starting to. Maybe those people should start acting on it....