Can Wisconsin landlord charge double rent?

We had a slumlord and we were not aware that he was a slumlord until a month after moving in. We live in Wisconsin. After the first month, it was nothing but trouble and we kept getting notices to move after using our legal rights and reporting drug deals and prostitution in the building. This slumlord has over 70... show more We had a slumlord and we were not aware that he was a slumlord until a month after moving in. We live in Wisconsin. After the first month, it was nothing but trouble and we kept getting notices to move after using our legal rights and reporting drug deals and prostitution in the building. This slumlord has over 70 open code violations. We kept notifying him repeatedly of activity in the building but he did nothing about it. So we started getting the police involved. When water was leaking out of the kitchen light and onto the floor due to flooding upstairs, he did nothing even though it was a hazard. I called the police to see what more I could since I am pregnant and have a 3 year old daughter. They sent the fire department without my asking who broke open the upstairs apartment door and turned off the water. The Department of Neighborhood Services came for a monthly inspection (we didn't know there were monthly inspections) and notified us of the structural failure of the bathroom due to the sewer pipes causing flooding in the basement. Sure enough, the brown replacement tiles in the bathroom started popping up and revealing the large cracks running through the floor as the floor started to sink. The basement is filled with mold. While this was going on, our vehicle was hit by a john from the prostitute. That's when I made the call to the slumlord telling him to take care of this illegal activity or we would have to seek other dwelling. He responded the next day with a notice telling us we had 14 days. I know the law that much, that he must take it to court. I told him he was acting out of retaliation and he needed to keep his legal obligations. He didn't care. He kept harassing us and giving notice after notice. We FINALLY got a great place out of the city. We got it after showing the new landlord photos on my digital camera because other places we tried, we kept getting slandered. When we had proof, the moment we showed this guy our photos we got the apartment. The slumlord attempted to take us to eviction court AFTER we had moved out. We filed a counterclaim. In court, the judge said it was thrown out because we had already moved out. But we stood firm to counterclaim. We just got a letter from the idiot (even the court called him an idiot and crazy for trying to come after us when clearly we had evidence that we owed nothing) stating that we owed a month of rent, along with double rent for 20 days because we overstayed the notice. Which notice, the 18th one? The first one? This was within 2 months. We kept telling him to take it to court (before he actually did) because we WANTED him to. That way we could counterclaim for free. Can he charge double rent for those 20 days, even though we paid our rent 5 days before it was due for that month just to save our own behinds? We have every single receipt proving that we paid the rent before it was due (he's also charging fees for late rent). I'm going to a lawyer on Tuesday but I would still like some advice. We handled the eviction part on our own so that's not on our records (and wouldn't have been....we have proof again). I printed out all of the violations along with photos of them. I took photos before we moved in, photos of the criminal activity, and photos when we moved to cover our own behinds. I know much of the law but nowhere near all of it (that's what a lawyer is for). Advice? Thanks.
11 answers 11