Can I have sex while taking Flagyl (Metronidazole)?

I started treatment for Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) today, however, it didn't dawn on me to ask my gynecologist if I could have sex while undergoing treatment. I only get to see my boyfriend once a week and he, essentially a sex-addict, expects that to be our time to pretty much have as much sex as possible. I... show more I started treatment for Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) today, however, it didn't dawn on me to ask my gynecologist if I could have sex while undergoing treatment.

I only get to see my boyfriend once a week and he, essentially a sex-addict, expects that to be our time to pretty much have as much sex as possible. I really want to be able to keep up with his needs... but I also don't want to continue this treatment for any longer than I need to because I don't want to hurt my liver (and the side effects are really getting in the way of my school work).

So, should I have sex while I'm having treatment? I've been looking things up online and have been getting contradicting answers. Some people are saying we can if we use protections, others say that it will interfere with the healing process and so it's not advisable, and others say that you shouldn't have sex for an additional week after the treatment is over.

I'd love a straightforward answer if anyone is wiling to provide it.. because I don't want this to get in the way of my relationship.