Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 8 years ago

Why was there an uprising in Hungary in 1956?

It's a 13 mark essay question but I missed the lesson where we talked about it! I don't want you to do my work or anything I would just like a few points to help me understand?

The three paragraphs have to be related to reasons about:

Cominform

Rakosi

Nagy

Basically why did these cause the uprising? Thanks!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Situation in Hungary before 1956 was bad with runaway hyperinflation, total collapse of the economy, and low living standard while at the same time treated by USSR as a defeated enemy. Hungarian political situation was unstable, because Hungary was an enemy of USSR during WWII, and communist regime had difficult time establishing a collaborative regime was was the case of Czechoslovakia, Romania, or Bulgaria. The political establishment in Hungary was run by people who did lived there for decades (some of them were exile of failed communist revolution of 1919 and spent time in USSR until 1946 like Rakosi), and Hungarian population did not accepted them. Therefore, the leadership was depended on Soviet support and was cohered to fulfill any Soviet demands. And Soviets did demanded a lot. Hungary was thoroughly looted and required to pay high reparation to USSR that was estimated to be us much as 30% of GDP before 1956.

In 1956 came a weakening of Stalinist rule throughout the Eastern Block which undermined the dictators across the region. In Hungary the situation was ripe for revolution by combination of oppressive political system, bad economy, and feeling to be occupied by foreigner, hostile power. The situation in Hungary exploded under influence of Polish worker's uprising in Poznan. The population in Budapest staged demonstration for support of Poland, and was brutally attacked by communist secret service. The news of bloodbath spread out through the country and people attacked symbols of the communist party. Revolution was born. Since Hungary was in difficult political position, it also experienced a brief civil war among various parties attempting to wrestle a control of the country. Nagy was a leader of Hungary that desired a national independence from USSR and ending Soviet control of the country. He paid with his stance at gallows. Hungary managed to wrestle out significant independence from USSR and it had one the most benevolent form of communism in the Warsaw Pact.

• 5 years ago

Watch the movie Children Of Glory (Hungarian: Szabadság, Szerelem), and I guess you will get all the answers to your questions about 1956 in Hungary

• 8 years ago

The Hungarian people didn't like being ruled by a puppet Communist government under the control of the Soviet Union,which ran the country for the benefit of the Soviet Union rather than for the benefit of the Hungarian people.

They thus rebelled in an attempt to overthrow the existing Communist government.

• Philip
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

There was a plague of trolls which the Russian army had failed to con - troll

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

because they were hungry people

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.