Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 7 years ago

What will computers be like in 70 years time?

Where will the world be like in 70 years with the new invention of computers and the Internet?

• Davros
    Favorite Answer

The first computer was designed in the 1830s so they're not exactly new!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Difference_engine

And the internet has existed since the 1950s. It's fair to say though that they both only came of age in the 1990s.

Nobody can know where this tech will take us. All attempts at predicting the future are more miss than hit. Best I can do is speculate.

It was once predicted by IBM that in the future, the whole world could be run from just a half dozen huge computers. They made this prediction in the 50s when computers were still room filling, energy guzzling monsters. The statement has since become seen as laughable and stupid in recent times, what with the proliferation of computing devices all around us.

But perhaps the quote was not as far off as it currently seems. Cloud computing and the internet in general seems to be showing a trend of computing power clustering in small pockets of huge servers. Our home computers, game systems, smartphones, tvs and etc. show more and more signs of becoming little more than terminals for information streamed to them from these clusters. This is a far cry even from the 1990s when much computer number crunching still had to be done by the individual machines, even when connected the a network.

It could well be that the cloud trend continues until most of us carry phones or computers that do little actual calculation, and serve just as information terminals relying on hubs of information to stream out all that people demand. You could watch a tv show streamed to you or even play games that are streamed to you. So there really would be only a handful of computers that supply the needs of whole populations!

The other trend I see likely to continue is miniturisation. In the 50s, the size of a semiconductor in a computer was 3000 nanometers. By 1999 it was 180 nanometers. Being launched in the coming year will be 14 nanometers. However at 5 nanometers the semiconductors become so small as that only a couple of atoms seperate them on the circuit and you just can't get any smaller. This trend of miniturised circuits must then end. We expect that to be in about 2022. Beyond them we do not know how computers will evolve. We just don't see any way the chips can be refined any further.

However even that level of technology will allow so much storage space and computing power that I see computers integrated not just into daily life, but into our bodies directly. You won't carry a phone, you will have a phone/media centre/gaming machine/social media tool basically made a part of you. They'll either be under the skin, or layed on you like a nicotine patch. Assuming brain-gate technologies increase in complexity as well, possibilities like user interfaces overlaid onto your vision, and audio placed directly into your auditory centres of the brain will become very likely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain-computer_interf...

In terms of future evolution, computers could go in the biomechanical direction. This using processing power in artificial living cells, similar to how your brain currently works. It's already been shown that DNA, that which dictates the form of all living creatures can be used to store and retrieve digital data. So it's possible that microscopic artificial bacterial cells may be created and used for information storage, and even possibly calculation.

Or computers could go down the quantum route. Quantum computers exist already but they are very primitive proofs of concept. A quantum computer could ultimately calculate millions of things simultaneously but the science behind them is complicated and not yet ready for commercialisation. In 70 years they could well be the supercomputers of their day, exponentially more powerful than anything we've been able to build now.

Will we create artificial intelligence? Possibly some sort of simulated intelligence but I doubt they'll be like Terminator somehow. I wouldn't expect such a machine soon though. We're not even close to understanding how our brains do what they do, and in order to copy their functions artificially we'll need to know a lot more. Computers don't work at all like the mind so I don't see it likely that a computer could "think" as we do, although some kind of emulation is possible.

• suitti

Moore's Law says that the number of parts on a chip doubles every 18 months. And from 1960 to about 2000, this meant that computers more or less doubled in speed every 18 months. So, i had an 8088 PC XT in 1987. My 386 in 1993 was 30 times faster. My Pentium II in 1997 was 30 times faster than that. My Athlon in 2002 was a disappointing 7 times faster. My 4 core Phenom II in 2008 was about three times faster, though there were four cores. The new machines aren't as spectacularly faster, but there are more cores. And even that seems to be slowing. The future of computers is more processors.

The good news is that software hasn't caught up. There are lots of interesting things that software could be doing that it isn't yet doing. So current computers could be lots smarter in the future. Lots of work is being done on smart phones. They're more or less the speed of that Pentium II i mentioned.

So, in 70 years? Computers will be quicker than they are now, but not a thousand times faster. There will be more computer cores or they will be much cheaper. Well, a Pentium II class computer can be had for about $30 new these days.

In 70 years, we'll still be able to access the sum of all human knowlege from a computer that fits in your pocket, and it will get used to view images of cats.

It used to be said that technology doubles every 20 years; Recently, I've read that the rate of '20 years' is accelerating.

We'll probably be somewhere beyond Star Trek in 70 years time, talking to computers rather than typing on them, or maybe just *thinking*, and having computers responding to orders...

Computers will do what you want just by thinking about it and display the information in a contact lens device that can overlay the information in a HUD fashion if desired.

The internet will cease to exist as it is today. It will consist of a number of expensive premium services developed and maintained by mega corporations. You'll have to buy service packages like you do with cable TV. This is because people are incredibly stupid and believe that politics doesn't effect their lives.

I expect that some people will always enjoy the tactile

feel of a mouse and keyboard, so these shall remain

even 100 years from now.

I don't know how enjoyable it is to "think" your thoughts

to a futuristic computer, (as some say), but to each his own, I guess.

I believe that in the near future quantum computers shall evolve nicely, and perhaps shall be made into personal PCs.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/02/tech/innovation/are-...

( I wish I understood quantum super computers, but I don't.)

• John W

Two paths. A chip in your head presents the information to you directly or ubiquitous computing where every device around you becomes an interface to your computer when you are in their proximity.

Actually, there's a third more likely path, the computers replace us and we become unemployed peasants living on sustainable agrarian communities.

• Steve

Ever see the series Alien?

Computers will be murderous b@stards...

There are so many proofs of that.. see the matrix series, I robot... we are all doomed.

Seriously,

I hope by that time we will have voice recognition. They can't seem to have that right.

Computers will work at the speed of life. They will be integrated in all aspect of our lives (the Bog)

We'll all be slaves to a computerised and digital world...S.L.A.V.E.S. Because all we'll be studying is computer and technology an not our own lives