Improving my vocabulary?

Hello

I received my undergrad in business management and finance in 2007 and since then worked relatively in insurance sales and recruiting; areas where I didn't utilize my skills.

Now that I recently found a job in public relations/ affairs unit for my local city gov, I feel like I'm lacking in my vocabulary and writing skills that because I didn't utilize my full potential in my previous jobs.

How can I improve my vocabulary and writing skills, so I can be more confident at work ?

Granted I'm no idiot and many of my previous skills were relevant to this job but I could be more advanced

• Jim S
    Favorite Answer

Local government communication has a prose all its own.

An excellent exercise is to read several years worth of City Council/Board of Supervisors/Water Management Board Meeting Minutes -- and especially the exhibits offered by "Board Staff".

While an initial shock to the senses (mostly sleep-inducing), you will soon have a very good feel for the tenor and thinking processes used by these clique-ish participants in their daily communication. It actually makes them more efficient when reading peer missives. It will also help you in limiting/expanding your vocabulary to that which is the custom for your locale.

Good Luck.

Source(s): City Manager in Central California