Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 7 years ago

Can I get my union job back in arbitration for "stealing company time"?

It was 4 of us that got fired, one of being our lead/acting supervisor, I worked overnight in a hospital doing various task, I was a porter. We didn't get in trouble for not completing our work, we would always do our work (most the time it was back breaking work stripping/ waxing hallways) then take break and just wait till our shift ended (if nothing else was assigned or asked to do) someone left the room dirty and our director came before our shift was over and saw us (including our lead) the room sitting down. we were suspended pending investigation, after a week we were fired for the amount of time we spent were we took our break. Our union tried to plea with HR that we were under wrongful supervision since our lead never gave us work to do and was with us taking break. .... can I get my job back in arbitration?

P.s. on some occasions if the project was big we wouldn't take break.

• Jim S
    Favorite Answer

Probably not. You all were not entitled to a four hour break. Check your collective bargaining agreement for the actual details.

• KL

I sure hope you don't. You were stealing company time. That's the problem w/unions they tend to fight for the unproductive workers. I wouldn't have sat there waiting for someone to tell me what to do, I would have been asking and looking for something to do. What's even more stupid is the argument that you were under "wrongful supervision". Really?! Do you NOT have a mind of your own?! You knew it was wrong, but its always someone else's fault. Take responsibility!

You can get your job back. Believe me. But an arbitrator may rule to get you job back with no back pay if he or she believes your story.

You may, but probably not.