How many small regular gold fish can i put in my tank?

I have a 29 galllon

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If by regular you mean a comet the answer is none. At least long term because they can grow to 14" long. some Fancies will do will OK in a 29 gallon tank. E.g. Lionheads.

With heavy filtration you could probably keep 3. The problem your facing is the fish generate large amounts of waste and they grow fast, compounding the problem.

http://www.homeaquarium.info/home/Aquarium-Article...

Source(s): Over 30 years of keeping and breeding tropical fish.
  • U
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

If you are thinking to put 4 or 5 anyways. Don't worry it will not grow. Its body will stop growing as signal from brain but its internal organ will continue to grow. So it all will be time bombs, waiting for slow painful death. You can experiment it like 3 in a 29 gallon and one in a pond or a bigger tank.

• James
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

Fancy goldfish, just 1

Comet goldfish 0

Comets need a minimum of 75 gallons for a single fully grown goldfish with double filtration as well.

• 8 years ago

You cannot put any common goldfish into a 29 gallon aquarium; this is much too small.

It is unfortunately stereotypical that goldfish can live in small aquariums, but this is not true. 50 gallons of water is recommended to house a single common or comet goldfish because these fish are not small minnows, but large carp. This domesticated version of the common carp can reach up to 16 inches in length if given adequate space. Many never reach their adult size because the small tanks they are kept in allow toxic levels of pheremone to build up, which stunts their growth. Even worse, the animals's internal organs will continue expand; many end up misplaced, deformed, or rendered non-functional by the pressure from their skeletons. Some are able to endure the stress, but all eventually die premature and avoidable deaths. A fancy goldfish can be kept in a 20 gallon aquarium, so you should be able to squeeze in a pair if you are willing to spend more money. I am inferring, however, that you are refering to the feeder goldfish often seen at carnivals and pet stores becuase you are asking a very vague question on yahoo answers. The site is good for opinons, but facts can be difficult to come by. I already know that there are answers saying that you can keep a common goldfish (feeders), but these opinions are incorrect. Focus on those with opinions like mine. Even if given adequate space, however, goldfish will still poison themselves with their nitrogeneous waste.

Goldfish's ancestors are substrate sifters in nature, a practice which puts a great deal of strain on any aquarium. Common carp feed by taking subsrate into their mouths and slowly spitting it out. As they do so, they remove any edible particles which include worms, copepods, shrimp, fish eggs, and plant matter. Their stomachless bodies mean that the food is processed very quickly and is deposited as ammonia. Ammonia compounds, as you may know, are used as a cleaning agents, so they are toxic. What keeps all rivers from becoming contaminated cess pools, is a series of steps involving other organims which use the fish's waste. Bacteria break the ammonia down into nitrite and others convert this into nitrate. Although the final form is less toxic than the original material, it is still dangerous to the fish's health. Plants, and a minor level of bacteria, denitrify the nitrate and utilize it for their own purposes. Fish and other animals eat the plants which are then re-excreted and the cycle continues. Ensuring a stable level of nitrate production is essential to keeping a healthy stock of fish, so the water must be cycled for on month before the chemicals stabalize. Feed the tank with fish food during this time to ensure that the bacteria have decaying matter to work with. I would recommend that you test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and PH, but asking about goldfish on yahoo answers indicates that you are not exactly too research inclined. You can introduce the goldfish when it is initially set up, but this may result in mortality from the chemical stress, so I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT.

To keep the water stable, a filter is recomended to keep from shocking the fish with the repeated water changes that will be needed to keep the water clean. Because goldfish are expecially glutonous, buy an overrated filter of a satellite tiny filter to assist in keeping nitrogen in check. Even if plants are added, weekly water changes will probably be necessary to keep the levels safe. If you test the water, and can comfirm that the nitrate levels are withing a safe range (look that up, not enough space or time to talk about this), you may wait longer. If you do not test the water or keep them in an aquarium somewhat too small, just change the water weekly. If you slack off on your responsibility to your pets, the nitrate will wreak havoc in their gills, in the blood, and on the skin under their scales, leading to miscoloration, asphyixiation, and burns. I accidentally scald a the scale-less skin of a clown loach when I was a novice fish keeper and before I knew it, the fish's head was black. I will avenge the unintentional torture to him or her another day, but that is another story. When you have taken care of the goldfish's physical needs, you are not done; the animal still needs enrichment to truly thrive.

Source(s): Apparently I have too much to submit; just do research and you shcould do well.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Just 1 Fancy Goldfish .

• 8 years ago

1 common goldfish needs 20 gallons plus 10 more gallons per extra fish. So only 2.

Hope I helped :)

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

theres no such thing as a "small regular" goldfish. they all grow huge.

in that tank you can fit MAX 2 fancys. no single tails fit in that tank though.

Source(s): 2 1/2 years of fishkeeping
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.