is it "alot" or "a lot"?

in fifth grade my teacher taught us that if you "buy alot of groceries" its "alot" but if you buy "a lot" as in a parking lot or something like that, its "a lot" well then in sixth grade i lost points on english assignments for saying "alot" and my sixth grade teacher told us that its "a lot" no matter what, never bothered to ask before lol, so which is it?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Alot is not a word. You can buy a lot of groceries or park in a lot. (In the first case, "lot" is actually a number. You are purchasing a group of groceries.)

You can also allot someone a task, but that's a completely different word, meaning 'to appoint'.

Think of it this way: You wouldn't say you bought abunch of groceries or aton of groceries. You bought a bunch, a ton, or a lot of groceries.

• 7 years ago

There is often confusion over the words alot, a lot and allot.

Alot

The word alot does not exist. It is often mistakenly written instead of a lot.

I know alot about precious stones. WRONG

I know a lot about precious stones. RIGHT

A lot

The term a lot is the opposite of a little. As a noun, lot means a large extent, a large amount, or a large number. As an adverb, lot means to a great extent or to a great degree. It nearly always appears in the form a lot.

Source(s): Grammar//
  • 7 years ago

Many people get confused with this phrase. Basically you have:

A lot of groceries.

A parking lot.

You can like a boy a lot.

The building owners can allot parking to a certain car.

• BC
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

As others have already explained, there is no such word as "alot" (not to be confused with "allot").

Here's a link to a gramatically amusing story of "alot".

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

It's 'a lot'.

Lot is a quantity like little or few, it is 'a little or a few' rather than 'alittle or afew'.

Source(s): The Oatmeal
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

'A lot'.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.