I'm gay, but I want a foreign exchange student?

For a while now, my mom and I have been thinking about hosting a foreign exchange student. We have a decent sized house and it's just my mom, sister, and I. We can financially support a student and are excited about the opportunity. However, I'm gay. I know that you get a student of the same gender and I'm afraid that my sexuality may cause issues either with the student being uncomfortable or the organization refusing us. I'm not fully out, but my mom and a pretty good chunk of friends know. Anyone have any advice?

I'm not trying to victimize myself. I'm simply saying in some cultures and religions itits unacceptable and I am worried about it being a problem. And if they live with me for 9 months, they will have to learn I'm gay eventually.

Favorite Answer

you want a foreigh exchange student?

you know it's not like I want a dog or I want a cat, the foreigh exchange student is not there for your purpose but for it's own purpose.

just don't worry about it, are they really going to discrimate against you for that? will the student really be that uncomfortable? what would the student fear, that you're going to take advantage of them or something crazy like that? I don't know, you have to try it and find out. you can't know everything, so just be brave and take risks.

Why do you feel the need to make your sexuality an issue? Nobody is asking you to bring it up, to disclose it, or to officially declare it on a form.

Nobody cares.

You need to stop thinking of your sexuality in the sense that you are or will be a victim.

Being gay doesn't mean that you're a potential pervert.

STOP IT, NOW. You're a person that wants to do something for someone else. Your sexuality has nothing to do with this issue.

Edit:

You're doing it again. That you'll hurt your family and get people in trouble, because you're gay and in conflict with "their" culture...

If they're participating in a program where they learn of other cultures, they're opening their experience to ALL EXPERIENCES and other cultures. Your sexuality, although they may not be considering it, is a NON-ISSUE. You're worried they'll judge you and hurt your family. They're instructed to be as tolerant of their host families, as you are about them.

No, they don't HAVE to learn anything about your sexuality. It's a NON-ISSUE. I don't understand why you feel the need to have to instruct and declare your sexuality to other people. Nobody asks heterosexuals this, and no one expects to know who is or isn't a heterosexual. You don't have to do anything but live as you do everyday.

• ?

I'm a straight lady from a religious conservative family, and I used to live with some gay ladies. They never made me uncomfortable. None of them were interested in me in that way (I was offended). My dad accidentally walked in on two of them making love on the floor, so maybe he was uncomfortable.

If you're a really cool person and he finds out that you're gay after finding out you're a really cool person, then you'll be a great ambassador for gay people in general. Homophobes are just people who haven't made any gay friends, yet.

Gay = Bluhhhhh

Gay = Bluhhhhh

Gay = Bluhhhhh

Gay = Bluhhhhh

it might not even matter. ive done an exchange where i stayed with someone from the opposite sex (im straight) and it caused no quarells. they wont even ask if your gay or straight.