Birth Control Substitute for Lo loestrin 24 fe?

Hi! I am currently on lo loestrin 24 fe and it is awesome! I have a much lighter flow and a shorter period with this birth control. The main reason why I am taking the birth control is for my unbearable cramps. Without birth control, I would be unable to do anything. I am currently using samples that my gyno gave me, but I will run out soon, and even with insurance this particular birth control is very pricey. I was wondering if there was any generic birth controls that are like lo loestrin 24 fe, or if you had any experience with severe cramps, but your birth control helped you significantly.

Favorite Answer

Wait...are you taking Lo Loestrin Fe or Loestrin 24 Fe? There is a difference between the two, and there is no Lo Loestrin 24 Fe. There is no generic version of Lo Loestrin Fe. The patent for Lo Loestrin Fe doesn't expire until July 2014, and it won't be until this patent expires that a generic may come available.

There is a generic version of Loestrin 24 Fe, though. Junel Fe 1/20 manufactured by Teva Pharmaceuticals, and Microgestin Fe 1/20 manufactured by Actavis (formerly Watson Pharmaceuticals) are both hormonal equivalents of Loesterin 24 Fe. There is a slight difference in the way the pill packs are set up. Where Loestrin 24 Fe consists of 24 active pills and 4 inactive/placebo pills that contain iron, Junel Fe 1/20 and Microgestin Fe 1/20 consists of 21 active pills and 7 inactive/placebo pills that contain iron. The active pills contain the same amount and type of hormones as Loestrin 24 Fe, the difference is in the number of inactive/placebo pills.

If you are taking Loestrin 24 Fe, ask your doctor when he/she writes or sends your prescription if he/she will allow for the generic equivalent. If he/she writes "dispense as written" or "do not substitute", then your pharmacist will not give you the generic . If you are taking Lo Loestrin Fe, then I'm afraid you are out of luck in finding a generic at this time. You'll either have to pay more for that brand name, or you'll want to ask your gyno what other options of birth control pills you might have.

Here are links on the generic availability of each:

http://www.drugs.com/availability/generic-lo-loest...

http://www.drugs.com/availability/generic-loestrin...

• Lori6 years agoReport

lo loestrin and loestrin are very different! I did great on lo lo and then my insurance made me change. Loestrin 24 has TWICE the estrogen dose of lo lo. Be ready for mood swings and acne. I'm going back to lo lo and just pay the $$$. My sanity is worth it!

• pelzer

Lo Loestrin Fe Generic

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Hi! I am currently on lo loestrin 24 fe and it is awesome! I have a much lighter flow and a shorter period with this birth control. The main reason why I am taking the birth control is for my unbearable cramps. Without birth control, I would be unable to do anything. I am currently using samples...

Source(s): birth control substitute lo loestrin 24 fe: https://shortly.im/UQqqb
  • monnin

Loestrin Generic

What used to work for me was a shot of vodka in a glass of orange juice. Oil of evening primrose (

You get the capsules at most places that sell vitamins) won't help cramping but it can help regulate the flow if you take it every day.