Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 7 years ago

Using MRSA in a science fair project?

I was planning a project for a science fair for some time now but I'm trying to balance the dangers of using MRSA in the project. Where would I be able to get some type of training that would better prepare me for working with MRSA? Would it be detrimental to my chances of getting farther into the competition if I switched to regular staph areus?

I'm testing the efficacy of phage therapy on methicillin resistant staph areus. I'm at the high school level competing at isef.

Favorite Answer

Best advice I can give you is don't use MRSA. High liability.

"Would it be detrimental to my chances of getting farther into the competition if I switched to regular staph areus?"

Depends on what you're looking to do. What do you plan on doing for your project? What grade level are we talking about? HS/undergrad/grad?

• You've probably covered this already, but I'm checking to make sure: are projects working with bacteria allowed in your sci fair? Some science fairs prohibit that.

You likely do not have he biosafety facilities available to you to be able to work with MRSA in pure culture.