What do I need to do before going to Mexico?

I am planning a surfing/fishing trip down to South Baja with a few friends for a week. We are going to rent an RV and drive down there. Just need to know if there is anything we need to get done to keep us "legal" I guess in a way... My mom seems to think i'm going to get arrested for not having proper insurance or something... Just want to make sure we don't need to do anything other than pack what we need (passport included)

Everyone who is going is going to bring $500 that helps pay for the RV and then money for food and gas... Is that a reasonable amount?

Ya... I've been looking at RV rentals I don't think that is going to happen... I think we are going to take my car (Toyota 4Runner), nothing fancy and take a tent or 2 and go to a camp ground. Then the $500 would be enough.

Then if anyone can tell me how the food works down there... is there anything we should steer clear from or is it mostly safe?

• Favorite Answer

As far as the legal aspect goes, Passport.

As far as other things... Bring plenty of Money and make sure you hide your valuables WELL the Mexican police have check points once you get into Mexico. They are checking for guns, drugs etc. They will make you get out of the car and open you bags and check your passports. They will rob you if they feel like it so be careful. Hide your money in different places and DONT TAKE YOUR EYES OFF THEM. Also I would bring 250 and leave 250 with your mom in case and have her Western Union you the rest when you need it. You can go to any Electra store in Mexico and there is a Banco Azteca where they have Western union and it is safe. Check the exchange rates as well.

Source(s): Live in Mexico City and I am American

Yes in Baja California Sur you will need a passport. You will need to buy Mexican Car insurance. I do not know where you are renting the RV, but most rentals cannot be taken from the U.S.A. to Mexico.

There are drink and drive laws in Mexico, so do not do that. Stay away from all drugs. Do not take a fire arm nor even one bullet. Importing both are prison offenses.

Make sure you notify your bank that you are going to Mexico, so that you can use your ATM to obtain Mexican Pesos.

I can see where $500 would be enough for food and gas, but I do not know about the cost of renting an RV. But I would not be carrying my cash, just use your ATM cards to get the Pesos. And by the way, gasoline is usually more expensive in the interior than gasoline in the USA.

Now, go and have a fun trip.

• Millie

I don't think 500 is enough per person for a week plus for the RV.

Personally, I would not be driving especially an RV. There are a lot of problems in Mexico due to the Cartel war...which increases all crime. An RV is expensive and could easily be a good target for car jacking.

I know for a fact, that along many highways they put a big tree across where you have to stop, and of course then you are at their mercy.

Definitely not a wise choice.

Source(s): lived in Mexico for 5 years
  • Ken

Your head examined