How many failed predictions will pass before conspiracy theorists say "Man, this stuff is bullsh..."?

The first time I heard about one-world governments, I was a child, in Sunday school (I'm not Christian anymore, but I was raised one). One Sunday, we watched the movie "Thief in the night". The movie was kind of an earlier and more simplistic version (with considerably worse acting) of "Left Behind"; the rapture occurs, global chaos ensues, one world government arises, tribulation follows.

Anyway, we talked about the movie afterwards and the Sunday School teacher assures that we are on the cusp of this right now and this will be reality in 2-3 years max. Well, 1984 came and went, I didn't (and still don't) have any marks of the beast on my right hand or forehead.

So...fast forward to 1992, I'm now a young adult and my transition into adulthood was rocky to say the least. I mean, it's a difficult adjustment for most people I think, but most people have some kind of idea or vision for their life. Not me. No clue at all. I'd have gone to college if I knew what for, but I honestly had no idea what I wanted to do.

So I coasted from one sh*t job to the next trying to make money however I could, which was never enough. I leaned on my parents heavily, borrowed a lot, until one month I couldn't make rent and had to move back home. My parents had stumbled onto some reading materials that lead them down the NWO-conspiracy path. My dad really went off the rails with it. No conspiracy theory was too out there for him. As far as he was concerned: his phone was tapped and everything that flew over the house was an NWO-flying-object spying on him.

Mom was a bit more subdued with her approach. She mostly got into educational stuff; outcome-based education specifically. I don't recall the details, but the gist was that some corporations were pumping private money into these programs to warp children's minds. There might be some truth to that, but it's irrelevant.

So at the time, I; no-ambition-life-loser moved back into a home with one parent telling me, "Hey, you were raised in an educational system that set you up to fail" and another telling me, "Hey, the bilderberg-illuminati-freemason forces of evil are holding you down". I can't tell you how much I welcomed the sh*t out of that message. My life sucked and it was somebody else's fault. I was a born-again conspiracy theorist.

It was fun to be a conspiracy theorist in 1992. We didn't have the internet, no youtube, etc. So to get information, you had to get out and go to lectures, buy books, go to conferences and conventions. There was very much a social atmosphere to it. We did have dialup bbs though. We were on Prodigy (remember them?) though, and there were lots of conspiracy theorists on there. There were also lots of people who liked to f--k with them. I hated them, but now I would be in on it with them, heh. How time changes things!

Anyway, someone got a rumor going that the U.N. was going to do a hostile invasion of the USA (some time in 1992, I forget the exact date). It was hilarious too (in retrospect) because people were literally stockpiling food, water, guns and ammo and were preparing to head to the hills. That day came and went. Nothing happened. It should also be noted that in 1980, the "mark of the beast" was going to come in the form of a tattoo. In 1992, it had been upgraded to cellulose microchip implants (like you put in your dog).

Fast-forward to 2007: I am not a conspiracy theorist anymore. I do not live with my parents. I actually have a fairly fruitful career and life. I love my job, I am married, and my wife and I have a lot of hobbies we share. I have a radio show and run a small non-profit TV station: i.e. Things are going well: I own a home, I own a car (outright: no payments). I have 3 credit cards with a balance of zero. I am not financially retarded anymore. But...the same conspiracy theories are *STILL* bouncing around, but now with the addition of...FEMA coffins. No sh*t. And these theories have been kicked into the dirt so many times by now, but the Conspiracy Theorists aren't having it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORWHlLvMO8o

Youtube thumbnail

George W. Bush is going to declare martial law, dissidents are going to be interned, and most likely killed. Well, it's 2013 now. What happened to that?

At what point do conspiracy theorists look at this string of failed predictions and say, "You guys are full of s**t?"

I mean, every 10 years or so, the same conspiracy theories are re-packaged and modified to fit the current events and technology of the day. in 1980 it was tattoos, in 1992, it was cellulose microchips, in 2007, it's RFID. What will it be next? Who knows, but I'm certain that probably won't happen either.

Chucky: Haha, I couldn't agree more if you paid me!!!

Favorite Answer

I don't think Conspiracy Theorists in general are crazy. Well OK, there are undeniably some people attracted to these things who have mental health issues but I don't think that is the norm.

There are many things that motivate conspiracy theorists. Some are indeed just nuts. Some are just anti-social. Others are excessively anti-authority enough to deny anything and everything society or authority holds as true. Others are blinded by their personal social and or political biases and simply are willing to swallow whatever fits into their ideology. Then there are some who are simply trolls who will respond to anything rational with CT talk just to get under peoples skin and create a reaction for the sake of creating a reaction.

Further I'd guess that some can't emotionally cope with the idea that the world can be so random and chaotic. They find it more emotionally appealing to believe there are "bad guys" in control than to accept that the world is wild and weird. The idea that NOBODY is in control is just too terrifying. This is much like a religious person.

There was a Vanity Fair article called "Welcome To The Conspiracy" and Rich Cohen said that CTism was an "oddly self-comforting worldview" because "nothing is accidental, everything can be explained, and someone is always in control." There is some perverse measure of comfort in having a designated enemy. Conspiracism, as I see it, is predicated largely on identifying some Powers That Be as the root of all evil. There is a parallel in some religions that identify a Devil.

I think the majority though come from a place where they want to feel special. By being aware of the conspiracy theory they put themselves in a unique category of the enlightened or awakened. Their lives are probably unsatisfactory on some level and going online to "research" conspiracies gives them some fulfillment. The allure of "being in the know", IE the feeling of "knowing the big secret" no one else can see is very powerful. It gives the believer a false sense of superiority. Most of them just want to be in the know and get a pat on the back every time they throw out a new theory. Sometimes I don't think they even care if their theories are correct, they just want to be a part of it. In general it's an ego thing; most CT believers are insignificant nobodies who use their supposed "special knowledge" to bolster their self image. Again, a very religious sort of reaction.

It's notable that both religion and conspiracy theories typically postulate a powerful entity that is invisible and can't be controlled, doing unexplainable things in inexplicable ways, which can only be understood by those "in the know". The same people who flock to conspiracy theories seem also to flock to badly-practiced religions (hard core fundamentalism).

The common theme among ALL CT's though is the inability of the Conspiracy Theorist to properly apply rational thought - to reason through complex arguments or comprehend well reasoned arguments presented to them. In simple terms they just can not think properly and it because they can not think properly that they get stuck in the CT mindtrap. Since they lack the ability to rationalize multiple points of information into a coherent hypothesis they resort to conspiracy theories where all they have to consider are a few anomalies they don't even have to explain since they reverse the burden of proof and challenge others to "prove them wrong." This explains why many of us thinkers get so frustrated in dealing with them. They never seem to 'get it' even on simple points that should be self-evident. Most think it is because they won't, I think it is because they can't.

The conspiracy crowd don't think. They believe. Their mission is about faith, not truth. They are out to convert you to their faith and need to be handled with that in mind

I understand what you are saying, but I also have seen that it is next to impossible for anyone to keep a "juicy" secret in DC. If it were something news worthy, such as the Illuminate and so on, someone would be talking to the press and the news channels. It would not be so "mysterious" to everyone, and it also wouldn't be such a "theory" because there would be confirmation that it was true. But no one has talked, which leads me to believe that it is rather exaggerated if it is true, but more than likely it is not true. THAT is what I base things on. Someone would be talking if there were truth to some things, such as the 9/11 conspiracy, Illuminate, etc.

To be honest, some form of world consensus would be pretty nice; the idea of differences settled by arbitration rather than genocide is a rather pleasant one don't you think?

And universal tax codes to prevent scumbag multinationals transfer pricing the tax out of their profits is necessary and will need international consensus.

• I agree whole heartedly ,one thing that has come true with age ,we now know why old people look back fondly on the past !

Source(s): Reality is bad enough without making stuff up

That won't happen because they'll always have another "reason" why an even occurred or why someone did something etc. no matter how much actual evidence you present them with.